Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Turn Sigals but No Brake Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Default Turn Sigals but No Brake Lights.

Hello everyone.

I have a 1983 Monte Carlo. I bought in in 1990. I have the history of it in the new members post.

But earlier this winter, my brake lights quit working. I have power past the switch. The switch does work properly. But I don't have any power to the brake lights.

I do have turn signals however.

A shop owner suggested my turn signal switch could be haywire. Before tearing into the wiring, I wanted some second opinions.

Could it be in the turn signal switch, and if so, how would I check for it?

Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 PM

Even though your switch has power is the pedal actually touching it? It might of moved a little to one side or back...

Old 02-16-2015, 03:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

welcome to the forum..

Its my experience its either a fuse, or the brake switch its self.
Which is located behind the brake pedal. under the dash.

It may also be something simple like the bulbs.. either broken filament
and or a connection issue.(corroted contacts).

Old 02-16-2015, 04:50 PM

I can get power through the switch and to the brake light side, just not to the brake lights themselves.
I pulled off a little insulation and checked it while it was in place.

The first thing I did was to check the fuse. Then the brake pedal switch. When all that came up good, I checked the turn signals and they do work. Then I began wiggling around the connectors, but nothing flickered. I know that's a cheezy way to look for a bad connection so I'm going out right now to do a more thorough check. I also checked the tail lights, and they also work. I even replaced one of the bulbs, just in case, and still, no brake lights. I'm thinking a broken wire but a mechanic from one of the local shops said it could be in the signal switch. Just wondering if anyone has heard of that.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:38 PM

in the past i have problems with my hazard light switch effecting brake lights,fyi

Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 PM

Yesterday, I had turn signals, 4 way flashers, tail lights, but no brake lights. I removed the drivers side tail light to see the sockets. They're in perfect condition as are the bulbs, the connector in the rear left part of the trunk, and the little ground wire that I removed, cleaned and reattached. I did a quick check and everything worked except the brake lights. I put the light assembly back on. It has to be a problem under my dash or in the steering column because the same filament lights up with the blinker, 4 way and the brakes, but of course the brake light portion isn't working. I rechecked the fuses, and scratching my head, I started the car and turned the left blinker on and NOTHING. Now I have no blinker or brake light but still have 4-way flashers. I triple checked the fuses. Could my problem be as simple as a flasher? I'm replacing it today.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The 4 way flasher only effects the turn signals..
Has nothing to do with the brake lights.

Sounds to me more like the Multifunction switch has failed.
It seems to effect most of the lighting for brakes,turn signals etc...
Did you check the body grounds also?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Coincidentally, the blinker flasher did go bad while checking the brake lights. Turn signal are working again but the brake lights are still dead.
You mention a multifunction switch. Where would that switch be located?

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
The 4 way flasher only effects the turn signals..
Has nothing to do with the brake lights.

Sounds to me more like the Multifunction switch has failed.
It seems to effect most of the lighting for brakes,turn signals etc...
Did you check the body grounds also?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 PM

I googled it. (multifunction switch)
I'm going to double check everything one more time before tearing into the steering coulomb. The steering column is really loose and sloppy and I have to pop it up to make the high beam/low beam work so I might change the entire column while I have it out.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 PM

Well good luck sir and if that does eventually fix your problem so keep us updated...

Quick Reply: Turn Sigals but No Brake Lights.