Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:04 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default tune-up

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of spark plugs and wires for my 07 SS gonna do a tune-up soon thanks

Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 AM

I use AC Delco because they came in the car from the factory , rarely ever have a issue and supposed to last about 100,000 miles.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

yah but I have heard the factory type plugs have bad retard knock I suppose they would work fine but I think I want an upgrade.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I use AC Delco because they came in the car from the factory , rarely ever have a issue and supposed to last about 100,000 miles.
I did the same at 99K, I'm at 150K without a single issue.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 AM

I'm running Champion iridiums now for the simple and pathetic reason that I ordered two on eBay and got eight. No problems whatever. My wife's SRX had ACDelco and when she had a misfire and I took out the plug, the ceramic had split in half. (I'd have like to have seen those arcs....)

In my experience with GM cars since 1988, my guiding pharases are "iridium" and "not Bosch."

Old 04-12-2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by monte0722
yah but I have heard the factory type plugs have bad retard knock I suppose they would work fine but I think I want an upgrade.
This may sound dumb but what is retard knock in relation to a spark plug ? I know what spark knock is in relation to engine timing too far advanced and knock from low octane fuel on a high compression engine but thought that was controlled by the computer with info coming from the knock sensor reading engine harmonics in the cooling system. Wouldn't mind learning something new on this subject.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
This may sound dumb but what is retard knock in relation to a spark plug ? I know what spark knock is in relation to engine timing too far advanced and knock from low octane fuel on a high compression engine but thought that was controlled by the computer with info coming from the knock sensor reading engine harmonics in the cooling system. Wouldn't mind learning something new on this subject.
I think he just got the exact wording a little off..

The problem is, with platinum or "long life" plugs is that the (electrode?) is much much thinner, and therefor concentrates the spark to a smaller overall area..

The spark still has the same amount of energy as a copper (electrode?) but the copper one spreads it out over the area of the piston head I guess creating a more complete burn..

I dont know exactly how to explain how this effects timing but the "more concentrated" spark is not good for boosted engines. Thats all..

NA can use whatever plugs, it dont matter..