Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

True HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Default True HID Conversion

Ok, so I'm doing a few mods to my car in the next couple of weeks (months). I have a 2005 MC LT with the 3.8 v6.

Now I'm looking to update my lighting. A few weeks back I upgraded to Silverstar Ultras, I liked them, but they are still not what I'm looking for, they just don't seem to be bright enough where I live. (Connecticut Valley)

So I started looking into True HID conversion kits for MC's. My concerns were the running issues with the DRL's and the Auto Headlights. I spoke to another fellow MC'er, who had an 06. He bought a direct plug and play kit for his new 06 with no issues (no lighting problems, no service lights, no DRL or auto headlight issues), which caught my attention. My 05 doesn't use the High Beams at a lower voltage as the DRL's, it uses the center light (the low beams) at regular voltage for running lights and low beam headlights. It doesn't seem like there would be any issues as when the car turns on the headlights turn on, which would mean the HID's would (should) work as DRL's, and to turn them off I would just have to pull out the headlight switch 1 click.

Can anyone advise me of any issues they have had with these conversions.

Also can you guys recommend me a good kit to go with, there are quite a few on the market.

Thanks guys!

-ant