Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Default Transmission solenoids

So I'm kind of new here, but I love the forum and have used it many times. I finally found something I really need help with. I have an 05 Monte with a 3.8 NA. From a stop in gear when I accelerate it will roll forward but feel like it is slipping or in neutral almost but then it finds the gear and goes, no problems in any other gears. I know there were a lot of issues with the transmission shift solenoids and really hope that's my problem. I'm wondering if someone can confirm that and what solenoid is my issue. I plan on doing it myself and may just replace them all since they're cheap but don't want to replace them if that's not the issue.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt Martenson
So I'm kind of new here, but I love the forum and have used it many times. I finally found something I really need help with. I have an 05 Monte with a 3.8 NA. From a stop in gear when I accelerate it will roll forward but feel like it is slipping or in neutral almost but then it finds the gear and goes, no problems in any other gears. I know there were a lot of issues with the transmission shift solenoids and really hope that's my problem. I'm wondering if someone can confirm that and what solenoid is my issue. I plan on doing it myself and may just replace them all since they're cheap but don't want to replace them if that's not the issue.
Wyatt:
Welcome to the forum...
I would recommend a fluid filter change first before you try changing out a shift solenoid...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Default My 2003 SS 3.8 ltr just started this symptom too!...

Originally Posted by Wyatt Martenson
Hey guys, Adriano here, glad I dropped into this convo. My 2003 SS 3.8 ltr just started this symptom too! (See red highlighted text above from Wyatt). It started just recently after I went to Aamco @ 100k miles to get their transmission service special. The symptom was not like this before I went to Aamco. It seems to be happening when the engine has been traveling for over 30 mins minimum and it happens after departing a stop light or stop sign, and if I do a rolling stop like in a parking lot & then hit the gas pedal. The tranny dipstick kinda smells like the fluid is too hot or burning. Has anybody figured out the prob? Thanks for your info, I just don't think the tranny needs rebuilding at this point..

Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Just an FYI I would never take my car to scAAMCO. I wouldn't trust them not to brake my car. Shift solenoid is a $200 shop fix if I remember correctly. Its a good idea to get a trans shop to check the codes for you too see if you have any issues. But once again, not AAMCO

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM

Hey fellas.. well the thing is I know the guy at Aamco and he's kool. But idk..company wise. But here's an update, we changed out the ATF fluid again and put a new filter in and now it seems to be ok.

Stay tuned... and we'll see what happens after a few hundred miles...