Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Default Transmission slipping

Well I just got home from picking up my wife at the airport and on the way up I had a guy shoot over from behind me out of the left lane as apparantly 83mph in a 65 was'nt good enogh. He was in an acura and passed me on the right to get by and try and cut back in front of me , so of course I smiled and buried the peddle when to my dismay I noticed the rpm's approaching the red zone while my land speed did'nt increase much and I could"feel" that something was'nt right. I tried this a few more times and sure enogh the trans seems to be trying to drop into the passing gear but seems to be hanging between gears or something. When I take my foot out of it it shifts back into overdrive and everything is fine. When I got off of the highway I buried the pedal from a dead stop and again it seemed to wind up high and would'nt shift until I let off. The car has 71,00 on it and no the filter nor the fluid has been changed as the manual say's it is'nt due until 100,000 wxcept for operating under extreme conditions such as trailer towing etc. Could 70,000 miles of quick acelerating smiles be considered extreme? Has anyone else had a similiar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kenny

Old 10-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Transmission slipping

well agressive driving is pretty hard on a tranny ani i reccomend changing tranny fluid ever 35k regardless

Old 10-08-2006, 06:57 PM

i have just over 32000 on mine and just changed the fluid in it but i also added the thrasher shift kit to it, I would recomend this to anyone who hasent done it yet. Man it makes the car feel like a real car again LOL

But i did how ever set mine on 3 in stead of 2. but i do tend to get in to mine and i like the hard shift.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:38 PM

Hey, Mickey...

What does a shift kit entail and how does one go about installing one?

Old 10-08-2006, 08:30 PM

I should have known better than to go by the manufacturers recomended service intervale and will be having the fluid and filter changed this week. Anyone have a recomendation as to what to use for fluid other than the norm that is required? Are there any types of synthetic or anything that may be better? Mickey....do you have any info on where to purchase the shift kit you put in yours?

Old 10-08-2006, 08:42 PM

personally i have royal purple synthetic tranny fluid in mine

Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 PM

It's best to change the trans fluid every 30K.. Sorry to hear of your troubles.... Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:11 PM

Well i went for a ride and got it all warmed up, came home and refered to the manual to check the fluid level properly and it's full. However even though it does'nt smell burnt it looks black when wiping the dipstick on a clean paper towel which can't be good. i'm thinking the filter is starting to clog which is limiting the amount of oil needed under hard acceleration as it seems to drive fine while not being aggressive with it. I'm calling my mechanic first thing in the morning and geeting it changed. I will try and get the royal purple for it, thanks for all of the help and I'll let you all know what they find.
Kenny

Old 10-08-2006, 11:16 PM

Just make sure he drops the pan. A flush at 70K will create more problems.... If it's black, your right, it's not going to be pretty. I would change it a couple of times with regular trans fluid and then go back with synth....

Old 10-08-2006, 11:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Hey, Mickey...

What does a shift kit entail and how does one go about installing one?
It's a pretty straightforward install of spacers and springs. You have to drop the tranny pan and install inside there, they claim it should take you roughly 30min to an hour to do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping