Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Transmission and oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Default Transmission and oil

So I have an 02 monte carlo ls with the 3.4 and I'm having issues with it shifting from 1st to 2nd it slams into it. I can disconnect the battery for 5 min and reconnect it and it shifts just fine and it don't shift hard all the time it's acts as if it doesn't catch the gear and goes in neutral but only 1st to 2nd any idea on what it could be? Also having an issue with oil pressure not reading has a new oil sending unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The shift solenoid could be sticking inside the trans which the trans needs time down to fix. The oil pressure is probably a stepper motor for the gauge itself that's gone bad.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 AM

I am not sure that the 3.4 LS has a workable Oil sender for the 6 gauge cluster. Forgive me if I am wrong. I do know that the 6 Gauge won't work on the 3.4 Impala on Oil however it does work on the 3.8 just fine

So i always like to make sure that the info that I am offering is ok or close to being good that my memory can serve. So I just did a google Search and did 2002 Monte Carlo LS cluster. Then clicked on Pictures and most of them are the LS Impala looking cluster where it has the Coolant, Fuel MPH and Tach. Only other LS Impala has the 6 Gauge cluster from factory is like the SS Monte Carlo with Volt, Oil, Gas, Temp, MPH and Tach was the ones with Sports package. However 3.4 isn't wired to the cluster for Oil Feature. Rest would work. Sorry as I was saying about finding the pictures it shows others with LS 3.4 MC that has 6 gauge without Oil working.

James