Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: transmission

ORIGINAL: odessadude

If he pulls the vacuum line off of the modulator and it has transmission fluid in it he probably has more problems then indicated. (he would be sucking transmission fluid in his carb) If you lose vacuum to the modulator it makes the car want to stay in first gear. (No Vacuum to the valve body therefore no shifting).

If the cars is slipping like he indicated I would say that:

A. the tranny filter needs replaced or,

B. The clutches and steel plates are shot.

C. Smell the transmission fluid on the stick. If it smells burnt or like strong alcohol it needs replace because it has lost it's vicosity and probably the clutches and steel plates are shot.
Your right, Just hoping for a easy fix If it is just starting to go bad it will do what he discribed when it tries to shift, But my guess is the same as yours, we'll find out when he pulls the pan. the pump normally goes bad when it tries to pump junk through it. Hope he caught it in time!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:17 PM

thx for all ur help guys, i really do appreciate it. today is sunday and im gonna go change my spark plugs cuz it has a misfire. after i fix that, im goin to change the transmission filter and gasket and see if it fixes the problem. i'll keep everyone posted. thx again.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 AM

ok. today i solved one problem. the car used to hesitate or choke on the freeway, couldnt even go faster than 65.took off a fuel filter that was before the fuel pump that shouldnt have been there and just routed a hose to the pump. that solves one problem. i still have to change the transmission filter to see if it fixes the shifting problem. keep u guys posted.