Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Trans sticks in first for first 1/2 mile

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trans sticks in first for first 1/2 mile

Hi gang,

Y'all have been most helpful in the past, so here is a new one. I have a 2003 S/S, 3800. from a cold start, trans stays in first gear and will not shift...once moving for a bit trying not to rev the engine, letting off pedal allows it to finally shift, then everything is fine, in fact it runs real well after first time it sticks.

Fluid is full, though it does leak a LITTLE. I have been to two shops, one of which hooked it to a laptop while driving it. Computer is telling the car to shift, but it does not (until after first time you get it to go) Both shops say "new transmission"

Could this be a solenoid sticking? Has anyone experienced this?

I am not sticking 2K in this car.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It is probably the solenoid sticking or the torque converter, my money would be on the solenoid. They are fairly cheap on ZZP Platforms but I am not sure what a shop would charge to put them on. There are you tube videos of people putting them in while the car is in the driveway so if you are mechanically inclined you can do it your self for probably under $200 by the time you buy new tranny fluid and filter and the solenoid, as you may as well change the fluid while you are doing everything else.