Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Traction system warning!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Endo
Interesting. Is there any type of indication that its only one wheel?

I also should mention that I have a K&N CAI so the computers (ECM?) that were enclosed in with the factory air box are now exposed. You don't happen to have that in common too do you? I was always concerned with water getting up in there, but clearly K&N isn't, and I assume they know more than I do.
No, I got the codes ran thinking that it would point to a specific wheel as others have said they got...but these codes were general and I can't tell any difference in any of the tires.

The rest of my Monte is pretty well stock, no CAI. I'm going to be taking a look at the wires and whatever else I can find next week.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If yours is happening in the rain, I would unplug the connector check for water, clean it out if need be and plug back in.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
If yours is happening in the rain, I would unplug the connector check for water, clean it out if need be and plug back in.
Which connector are you talking about?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 PM

15 Year Member

There's a plug that connects the wires going to the PCM to the wheel hub assembly.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Default 06 ABS/TCS Issue (3.5 Flex)

Hello guys...

I have an 06 Monte with the 3.5 Flex motor. I have been having an issue with my abs/tcs. I'm sure its coming from the driver side wheel sensor. I had to replace the wheel hub assembly because the wires coming from the wheel hub was cut. So I replaced that and accidentally forgot to hook them back up so the wire harness coming from the engine bay rubbed against the tire for quite a some time. So, I ordered a new wire harness from rockauto.com and wired it up but my light will not go off. I traced the blue and yellow wires into the engine bay until it lead to a large bungle of wires. So I cut the wires leaving about 8 inches of wire from the large bundle and connected the new wire harness.

Can anyone please help? I am lost and super frustrated! It's not hard connecting two yellow and blue wires together but that's not doing the job.

I know the left side works because I feel it activating when I drive on a slippery surface...so I am leaving the battery unplugged overnight to see if the computer resets itself or anything like that.

MRagland828
The frustrated college student ha

Last edited by MRagland828; 03-08-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Endo
Has anyone noticed this problem only when it's raining/snowing? Mine just started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. The light turns off at every starting of the engine, then eventually I'll feel the system doing something in my pedal (gas or brake), then the light will come on and the system will shut off.

I had noticed that it hadn't done it in almost a week, then Friday it came on and it was raining. Then on Saturday it came back on and it was raining. Today, dry roads and no light.

I'm thinking this points to a wire problem. Maybe its getting wet and shorting out.

Also, This all happened to start after a self oil change. I had the jack stand right where I needed the oil pan when I took the filter off and I spilled a $#!% ton of oil all over the lower control arm and tire and floor. Anyone think that could be related, or just a coincidence? I don't know if the right front is the problem, just a theory.
Same deal for me, also after an oil change (and all the snow we got here in NJ now that it's melted.

I figured I'm due for a wheel alignment having to swerve around potholes from the snow and ice on the roads this winter.

My car will randomly display both/either one/neither of the CHECK OIL LEVEL and SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM lights in yellow, along with the {ABS} and Trac Off lights on the dash lit up when I start/shut off the car.

My plan: bring it to AutoZone for the free ABS code check, then bring it back to the oil change/mechanic that changed mine to see if they rattled, so I can let them know what needs to be fixed.

...Thanks for the heads up on this with the thread, dash warning lights have been driving me crazy not knowing what's up

Old 03-16-2011, 02:42 AM

I have this same problem. i get the abs and trc message on the message display. also shows the traction control is off, and my monte is missing the traction control button.Im guessing that the guy that sold it to me took out the button so i wouldnt know that the trc off light will always be lit on the dash, regardless if you push the button. i say this because the button was there the first time i went to look at the monte.
anyways, after having to get the engine swapped, my mechanic told me that those lights are on because the harness is cut somewhere along the line. i just need to know where now in order to fix it lol

also, bexause the harness is cut, does it really mean that traction control is off? or is the light just lit because the line is cut?

Last edited by 02montecSS; 03-16-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 AM

15 Year Member

It really means the car shut the system off because there was something faulty with it.

Your shop should know by the ABS code what hub is giving the faulty reading and should be easy to trace the line.