Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

tps

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Question tps

New maf...added air intake sometimes while riding he seems to pick up speed and between shifting 2-3 gear it misses but seems to pick up speed. And when I come off the gas it kinda jerks or could it be throttle position sensor? plus the airbag light just recently came on. It goes off for some days then comes back on wtf

Old 03-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by fullmonte2001
New maf...added air intake sometimes while riding he seems to pick up speed and between shifting 2-3 gear it misses but seems to pick up speed. And when I come off the gas it kinda jerks or could it be throttle position sensor? plus the airbag light just recently came on. It goes off for some days then comes back on wtf
Your problem could very well be the MAF... IF!

Did you buy a new one? was it an AC Delco? or something else? If its a bosch..its no good take it back or throw it in the trash... If its used...That's not good either.
A quick check you can do is this simple test... to see if in fact its the MAF..
Unplug it..start and drive the car.. If the problem disappears.. Then its the MAF... If it doesn't... Then something else is going on... Whens the last time you changed the fuel filter? Is it full of oil?... when did you do the last oil change? It may also be a fuel pressure issue... Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rails(You can rent one from a local auto parts) You may also have a cpl clogged injectors.... If you have low pressure at the fuel rail..then its a fuel pump problem..

It could also be that you have a clogged catalytic converter... when it heats up does it start to glow? (Have you ever had it checked?) you could also start the car and feel if theres still pressure coming out of the tail pipe at idle....

You could also have a tank of bad gas... Running on a low or empty tank can also cause the fuel pump to work harder thus causing it to fail....as it picks up the residue that sediment sits in the bottom of tank...

Hope this helps...
I'm sure someone else will chime in with other solutions.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 AM

Ya bought a new one from auto zone wasn't Bosch I think it's a delphi. U know what I got a new fuel filter hadn't been able to put it on yet tho

Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
A quick check you can do is this simple test... to see if in fact its the MAF..
Unplug it..start and drive the car.. If the problem disappears.. Then its the MAF...
Would one of you members please explain to me how this procedure determines the MAF is bad? I see a lot of people on the forum make this claim, but yet to see one single thread of evidence to validate it.

To put it another way - how is unplugging the MAF going to determine the difference between a dirty/loose connection, bad wiring or a bad MAF? Please explain...

OP - Are there any pending codes stored in the PCM?