Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

TPS Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Default TPS Sensor?

I just got my 95 Z34 and it only has 1 real issue, every so often after driving, i put the car in park and the engne throttles up to about 3k RPMs idles down and dies! it doesn't do this all the time. I was told it was most likely the TPS sensor. Cant really afford to take it to a shop right now, so i am hoping i could find some suggestions here. P.S. Im new here so i hope i posted this in the right place if not, sorry! thanks for the help!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: TPS Sensor?

You could have it scanned at your local autozone or the like for free to see if any codes come up, you don't need to take it to a shop. I'm pretty sure the tps sensor is pretty easy to change....plug n play. You might be able to get one cheap from a local wrecking yard. I reccomend that everyone have a service manual for their car like the Haynes book, I believe it will be the best 20-25 $ you may spend, all the trouble codes are broken down in the manual. Just my 0.02 cents.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: TPS Sensor?

Whenever I have an electrical problem on one of my vehicles I go to Advance Auto and just pick up the part I think it is. Change it myself at home and either it fixes the problem or it doesnt. If the part is relatively cheap I just keep it, but if it is over 20 bucks I just take it off and take it back. Advance has a pretty good return policy. They always seem to take back electrical parts no questions asked. I just tell them it didnt work for me but I got one from somewhere else (carquest or napa) and it worked. I always get my money back. As much business as I give them I dont really feel that bad about it. They'll make it back up in profits from me in no time. Lol.