Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Torque convertor question

Old 09-08-2018, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Torque convertor question

I'm having a issue with my torque convertor and need to swap it out and un-sure on what kind of stall I should purchase, I understand how they work and have rebuilt about 50 for caterpillar transmission's but at a loss for what I need. At a cruising speed of 55mph my engine is at 2300ish rpm's , I'm running a 27 inch tire and have a 3.42 final gear ratio and my power band according to the cam chart is 3000-6500 rpms. I was running a stock convertor before which I have been told is around 1500 rpm stall, Thinking I need somewhere between 2200-2500 but really don't have a clue, hoping someone can set me in the right direction . Appreciate any and all opinions .

Old 09-09-2018, 12:22 PM

What is the use of the car - drag, street/strip, cruiser, etc? How did the cam do with the current stall, was it close to pushing through the brakes? Is the engine NA?

I'm just thinking the numbers you're talking sound pretty low if it's an NA engine intended for any serious drag racing.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member

[QUOTE=bumpin96monte;714003]What is the use of the car - drag, street/strip, cruiser, etc? How did the cam do with the current stall, was it close to pushing through the brakes? Is the engine NA
The main driving of the car is on the street , I might try a dragstrip once but not my main intention. The current convertor would not push through the brakes and caused the problem if I understand you right.And yes its N/A .
The rpm numbers for 55 mph were found on a website using tire size and gear ratio . I used them because I didn't have a tach but numbers seem close. The trans is a power glide and has a 1.76 low gear so it's a little sluggish but the main highway speeds around me are 65 mph so I'm guessing that's around 3000 rpms near the start of powerband.
I'm glad you replied as you're opinion is high on my list.

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 09-09-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:52 PM

To be honest, I don't know squat about powerglide stuff, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. The only glide car I'm even remotely familiar with is my buddy's 1k++ whp drag c6, so it's a totally different setup.

Since it sounds like it's more of a street car, it sounds like you're in the right ballpark with what you're looking at. I'd probably lean a bit higher with 1st being so low, but it's definitely a fine line with making the car lazy during normal driving.

My suggestions:
-I'd shoot that spec list over to one of the major converter companies and get their suggestion as they've got a ton more experience.
-Not to knock your setup, but I'd also strongly consider doing some other trans while it's out. Glides are great for hardcore drag racing, but are pretty crumby in terms of street driving.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for your advice, I never thought of contacting the major companies. I talked too ACC ( Boss hog ) and they suggested using there street bandit 10 inch convertor with a 2800 stall and explained the convertor would be about 10 lbs lighter than the stock 12 inch I'm using and could free up 20-30 hp because of the less rotating mass. Not sure how much it would but it obviously make a difference. Still waiting on replies back from B&M and TCI . Just gave the companies my cam, engine, trans, gear and tire info was real easy as I had all the info.
No offence was taken by comments on my set-up. Even though I know there a better comb's here's a few reason's I'm running a PG . I had all the parts from a previously crashed car show car running a similar set up.New Hurst shifter, new driveshaft, torque convertor, rebuilt trans. I have used PG's in race cars (dirt) with zero issues where I've had many issues with a th350 in the show car. A racing friend built it for me and gave me the rear pump option (push start) it was freshened up for this build . Switching too a overdrive would be great but too expensive for me at this time.
Thanks again , it's guy's like you that make this forum what it is today