Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Thermostat on 02 ss?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Default Thermostat on 02 ss?

After doing more research and advice from you guys, i've learned that i need a thermostat and not the coolant temp sensor i changed last week. I had it flushed and added new coolant last week along with the sensor change. I've read on here today to definately go with the al delco t stat. my question now is, does anyone have directions on how to replace it? and do i have to drain the coolant again?

also whats better the 180 or 195 stat?

i plan to get the stat today and if its pretty easy i wanna try to change it myself. to save a lil money.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Depends on your weather and what your doing to your car.

If you are doing engine mods and putting a smaller pulley on the supercharger and think you might run warm use a 180.

If you want heat to come out of your air-vents in the winter use the 195. If you live in Texas or Arizona or somewhere hot all the time use the 180.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As far as changing the Tstat, just follow the upper radiator hose. It will lead you straight to the T-Stat housing. It's two bolts (I think the one has stud coming through it and a nut on top holding a small bracket, so you may need a deep well socket). To my knowledge, the ONLY gasket required is more like a rubber ring that goes around the t-stat.

Easy change, should be a 5 minute task.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

You don't even need to drain the coolant on the 3800 when you change your T stat. Its right side up on the top of the engine. Its on the drivers side of the engine bay. Like Maniac said, follow the upper radiator hose, and it will take you right to it. To bolts and you're good.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanks alot, no need in paying $40-$50 for this to get done. i'm gonna go with the 195, i'm in md and definately need heat in the winter. i'm gonna give this a shot my self this evening. one last question can i take this housing off after driving the car or does it have to sit for a while? don't want coolant everywhere.

thanks again.

Last edited by widebody; 10-19-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by widebody
Thanks alot, no need in paying $40-$50 for this to get done. i'm gonna go with the 195, i'm in md and definately need heat in the winter. i'm gonna give this a shot my self this evening. one last question can i take this housing off after driving the car or does it have to sit for a while? don't want coolant everywhere.

thanks again.
I would personally do it while the car is cold. Otherwise, while it's hot (or even warm) the metal is expanded and I believe the intake is aluminum, you'll run the risk of messing up the threads doing this hot.

Not to mention, it's HOT! Warm/Hot, you're coolant system may still be holding pressure and you're asking for a mess of coolant everywhere (including hot coolant on you) as you open up the T-stat housing. Play it safe, let the car cool down (if you get it on your way home from work, get home, pop the hood, go in have dinner, I would say give it at least 2 hours before you check it).

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

NEVER change a thermostat while the engine is warm. It WILL be under pressure. Just read the radiator cap. If you wouldn't open the cap while the engine is warm, you absolutely would not go unbolting the thermostat housing while it's warm. If it were me, I would wait until there was a day that I could just wake up and go to work on it. Make sure that you have the seal and gasket for it and you're all set to go.

It's an easy EASY job to do on the 3800's.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Check out Youtube here is a nice video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuo28XWAMoE

only thing I would do different than this guy for sure is put the oil filler neck and cap back on first thing after removing engine cover. I never put the engine cover back on after changing mine earlier this year.

and yes, get the Delco therm from the dealer, and wait for engine to cool.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
NEVER change a thermostat while the engine is warm. It WILL be under pressure. Just read the radiator cap. If you wouldn't open the cap while the engine is warm, you absolutely would not go unbolting the thermostat housing while it's warm. If it were me, I would wait until there was a day that I could just wake up and go to work on it. Make sure that you have the seal and gasket for it and you're all set to go.

It's an easy EASY job to do on the 3800's.
you need a seal and gasket with the ac delco stat also? or are you just speaking of if i use the discount parts store t stat. because this one i just got from the dealer has the rubber seal already on it.

and i thought waiting for it to cool would be the smart thing to do . i'll do it saturday morning thanks guys.

Last edited by widebody; 10-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM

I'd go with the 180 if I were you. I've got the 180*t-stat and have more then enough heat in winter, even when its 10 below 0.

Quick Reply: Thermostat on 02 ss?