Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

taillights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 AM
Monte Of The Month - July 2005
Default taillights

hey ive seen this done on other cars but not montes. just painting around the brightest part of the tailights(the two big cricles). i was wondering if that would still pass inspection in texas and what paint to use

Old 05-26-2005, 03:35 AM
Default RE: taillights

ORIGINAL: big green dog

hey ive seen this done on other cars but not montes. just painting around the brightest part of the tailights(the two big cricles). i was wondering if that would still pass inspection in texas and what paint to use
I dunno about Texas inspection, but you can use any paint you want. The temp doesn't get very high in there so you should be aight no matter what paint you go with.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM

could you possibly get a set of paint to match tail lamp covers and cut the center out. or if they are clear you could tape them off. just an idea.

Old 05-26-2005, 07:45 PM

i just posted pictures of my nonner with painted tails in the offtopic section. i didnt do the circles, but what you want to buy is stuff called VHT nightshades...it is made specifically for painting taillights so it wont hurt the plastic, and it is very durable. if you did want to paint over the entire light like i did, when i hit the brake, the light still shines through as bright as before.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 PM

Oh that is some cool stuff.

I painted a set of ranger tail lights with that stuff or should is say that I more or less coated the inside. I sprayed the fluid into the lens assembly through the bulb socket opening till it puddled and moved it around till it coated the entire inside evenly. Worked quite well and I did not loose the glossy look of the exterior plastic.

TVW

Old 05-27-2005, 12:17 AM

I guess I assumed everyone paints from the inside. That is the correct way to do it. But either way, this guy was talking about just painting around the circles, the the actual part the light shines through. I may be wrong as I'm not very familiar with the Monte's tails and what part of them lights up, but if it's what I am thinking then any paint will do. If it's a part of the tail light that emits light, I would go with a transparent paint like Patrick mentioned. I believe it can be found at your local WalMart

Old 05-27-2005, 12:22 AM

if you guys can find it at walmart, youre very lucky. i bought mine online...i painted the outside, because that was waht the directions said...it isnt as shiney as the lens was orignally, but it is shiney, and i have been told that to make it very shiney, hit it with some cheap clear coat!

Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

if you guys can find it at walmart, youre very lucky. i bought mine online...i painted the outside, because that was waht the directions said...it isnt as shiney as the lens was orignally, but it is shiney, and i have been told that to make it very shiney, hit it with some cheap clear coat!
Then I was lucky:yay:

Back when I had my Accord, I opened up my tails and painted the turn signal portion only(since it was clear) on the inside so it would look like it was made like that. But if you can't find it at WalMart, im sure you can find it at a local auto part store. If not, looks like you'll have to order online like Patrick.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:29 AM

You've inspired me Patrick..... I'm going to look at coating my tails with that stuff. I may even have the original can somewhere. But your right, this is not a Walmart item. I think I got mine at the local speed shop...

GreenDog.... It should pass Texas inspection. My Ranger passed with them painted/coated.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tvanwinklehome

You've inspired me Patrick..... I'm going to look at coating my tails with that stuff. I may even have the original can somewhere. But your right, this is not a Walmart item. I think I got mine at the local speed shop...
I got mine at WalMart, as did a few of my Honda buddies. This was about 4 years ago though.

Quick Reply: taillights