Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Default Switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic

I have been running Royal Purple synthetic for the last year or so, along with a K&N Gold oil filter. I have had no problems with this setup and it actually made a noticeable improvement over the stock fluid and filter. But now that my "change oil" light has come on today, I am going to give Mobil 1 a shot as I have heard alot of good things about it. When I first went with Royal Purple, I was able to get it on sale for $4.00 per quart which is a hell of a deal. This time I wasn't so lucky. Royal Purple was $6.99 qt. and Mobil1 was $6.29 qt. I went ahead and bought a case of 6qts. The K&N filter was $11.99 while the Mobil1 filter was $10.99. So as you can see, the savings were minimal.

I did quite a bit of reading up on the Mobil1 filter and found that while it and the K&N piece are both made by Champion Labs, the Mobil1 unit boasts a synthetic fiber blend filter element which gives it superior filtering. While it may not flow as well as the K&N, it definitely filters the oil better and the decreased flow is so minimal that it's a moot point. All of the reviews I read chose the Mobil1 as the best filter, although it costed more than the others as well, but you get what you pay for, right? There was a filter that rated better than the Mobil1, AMSOIL. But I can't get those locally so it wasn't an option.

I'm going to change my oil today and join alot of you in the Mobil1 family, I hope I don't regret it.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Default RE: Switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic

welcome to the family LOL
I havent regreted it yet and i have mine and now the wifes running it. but hers is a neon from some forgen company called Dodge . never heard of them before LOL

Any way it is a good oil and i have never heard bad things from it or have i ever had a issue from it in my car.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Hmmm...I have been wondering about this myself. I am due for a change in about 900 miles or so, so maybe I'll try it too.

I am still running conventional oil. What is the big difference between Conv. and Synth. oil and why should I switch?

Old 10-08-2006, 08:49 PM

Synth oil last much longer than dino... Lubricates better..... Reduced friction over dino which also reduces heat.. Alot of people buy it to extend the time between oil changes, I keep mine every 4-5K..

Old 10-18-2006, 04:28 AM

i put in mobile 1 synth after the first couple of oil changes i dont have the time to change it my self but 50 bucks a change for the mobil one and it last longer and protects better its a great investment.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 AM

Ah! Good to know. I think I'll switch over next oil change. I was told before that when you switch to synth, you can't switch back...true?

Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM

I changed my oil after I put the first 1,000 miles on the car and have never used anything but synthetic since. I usually always use Mobile 1 but have tried other synthetics also. I even use synthetic in my quad and snowmobile as well as the lawn equiptment. It will prolong the life of your engine and with the cost of everything nowadays how can you go wrong with that?

Old 10-19-2006, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Ah! Good to know. I think I'll switch over next oil change. I was told before that when you switch to synth, you can't switch back...true?

No, not true.... urban myth.

"Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way. "

"No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance."

"You can start using Mobil 1® in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor. "

Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 AM

Excellent. So, for older cars, it was necessary to break them in first? This has been a very informative thread for me. I think I will certainly switch at the next oil change.

So...what's the concensus? Mobil 1 or Royal Purple?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:50 AM

i prefer the mobil one as it was and is easier to find at your local parts store.

but now that R/P has gotten bigger they are getting easier to find also.
but the Mobil 1 is cheaper and therfore i go with it. Figure if it os good enough for the vet then i guess i can use it in my car lol

Quick Reply: Switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic