Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sunroof Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sunroof Won't Open

I have a 2000 LS and occasionally the sunroof wouldn't open all the way. It would flip up and as it slid back it would get stuck between 1/4 and 1/2 way. I thought maybe it just needed greased so I used old rags and paper towels to clean up the old caked-in grease and re-greased the tracks. This did not fix the issue. There's no clicking or grinding noises or anything when it gets stuck. You can't hear any noise after getting stuck and pushing the button to slide it further. It's also worth mentioning that it always slides back closed after getting stuck (only sticks trying to open). My next thought was that something was in the tracks but I can't see anything blocking it from sliding (and it also wouldn't make sense because it'll open all the way sometimes). Any thoughts?

Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse
I have a 2000 LS and occasionally the sunroof wouldn't open all the way. It would flip up and as it slid back it would get stuck between 1/4 and 1/2 way. I thought maybe it just needed greased so I used old rags and paper towels to clean up the old caked-in grease and re-greased the tracks. This did not fix the issue. There's no clicking or grinding noises or anything when it gets stuck. You can't hear any noise after getting stuck and pushing the button to slide it further. It's also worth mentioning that it always slides back closed after getting stuck (only sticks trying to open). My next thought was that something was in the tracks but I can't see anything blocking it from sliding (and it also wouldn't make sense because it'll open all the way sometimes). Any thoughts?

Check these videos on the link and see if there might be anything that would help. There is probably a small part that is not functioning similar to when the side window tracks go bad and it needs replacing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...w=1389&bih=680