Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sunroof Fiasco...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sunroof Fiasco...!!!

Hey Everyone,

I have been in a huge rut this past week trying to fix my sunroof. Ive bought the car used and ever since I've bought it the sunroof didnt open accordingly. It would make a really loud crackling sound and just wouldnt open for 4 years of me owning it. I am a training Automotive Tech and have been for the past 2 years and decided that I needed to fix this thing. I Took the whole headliner down and disassembled the track assembly from the roof and found the switch that mates with the motor had a small gearset inside that was stripped really bad. I didnt want to take any chances and purchased a used track from ebay for 60$ assuming that the cables would be damaged as well along with a switch and motor assembly. This used track that I purchased came shipped in the open position with the arms up. I plugged everything in, module, switch, motor and cycled the key forward and it would move forward about 1 inch and stop and make a really loud click. This upset me very much as I was stuck trying to figure out what the problem could be. Doing a little bit of research I found out online that some sunroof assemblies have to be relearned so the position of the track and the position of the switch are the same. I disassembled the motor/switch and mated them together and plugged them in the car seperately from the track and cycled the key forward than back until it stopped. This was the position for the track in open. I go to plug everything back in and lo and behold same BS,.. moves about an inch and makes a really loud click. The car is an 03 SS and I really need some expert help/advice from those who have exp with these sunroofs. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers,

George

Old 05-29-2013, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member

I figured out how to manually push the arms forward. What was preventing me from even getting the arms to move in the first place was these tiny white locking pins inset in the track I tried pushing them down the last time to unlock the arms but they wouldnt budge. After some determination I got them locked down and the arms move free. Anyone out there with a stuck sunroof in the open position look carefully on the track and youll see the white pins that are placed on the plastic glider piece of each arm. My old track has a seized arm as well so I'm glad I purchased another track. Gonna clean and reassemble.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's good to hear your perseverance and determination paid off. Hopefully your experience will be of benefit to others having the same problem.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member

Cheers brother, I appreciate the words of coinfidence and encouragement. This challenge really tested my skills from what I've learned so far about automotive and the different systems within it. Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Both my 00 Grand Prix and my dads 01 Monte Carlo make loud popping/ cracking noises. Its to the point where I dont even try to open the sunroof anymore. Both still will open all the way it's just that it makes a lot of noise. Going by your fiasco Im thinking that maybe the arms or something need greasing? Im just not quite sure what would be the best for that. I dont know if you greased anything up when you reassembled yours but if you did what did you use?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member

my original sunroof had a bad switch. The switch (which splines with the motor) has a gear inside that pulls the cables on the track back and forth. The cables are linked to the arms. If what I'm assuming is correct and making the same noise mine is than its definately the switch that went bad. These gears are prone to getting chewed out. If when you open the sunroof and only one arm moves and the other doesnt than you have a problem with the cable. The original track that I took out of my car had a seized arm. I couldnt move the arm back at all. Where as the other side I could easily move it. The only way to take that switch out and inspect the teeth on the gear is to drop the headliner down completely. First you have to remove the glass which has 3 T25 or T27 torx screws on each side. Take down the visors (but not out...leave them hanging)/dome light/Navigation unit/two plastic tabs in the rear that pop down/all the plastic trim from the pillers/rear windows/seat belts (T50torx), Coat hangers in the rear panels and just pull down nice and easy as the liner is velcro'd to the track. Now once the liner is down just leave it resting on the seats. Now you can disconnect the harness from the track. There are 4 connectors. Module (2), switch (1), motor (1). Take some side cutters and snip off the zip ties that hold the harness. now take out the rubber hoses for the water drain on all 4 corners by pulling out. Now you can take out the track. 10MM bolts all around the track. Your gonna need another helper to hold the track up on the other side. All this bull**** just so you can take out 1 torx screw from the top of the assembly for the switch. Once you remove the track you can start taking out the motor and switch. The motor has 3 T25s that hold it to the frame of the track. Once the switch and motor are out. See if you can pull the arms back manually with your hand. Dont worry, use a little force but not too much. If no movement than one is seized and the cable might be stuck. Now you can check the gear on the switch. I'd test the motor alone too just to make sure it works back and forth. Just hook up the module and the motor and see if it works. I completely removed the arms from the track cleaned all the pivot points with brake cleaner scrubbed them with a tooth brush, cleaned the track and put down some Permatex synthetic brake slider lubricant. This stuff is way better than white lithium in my opinion. Anyways man, if you need any more help just message back.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Alright. Thanks. I will give it a shot sometime. Probably won't be until I get back from my fishing trip to canada sometime in mid june though. Ill let you know if I need more help.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by l0gitech87
my original sunroof had a bad switch. The switch (which splines with the motor) has a gear inside that pulls the cables on the track back and forth. The cables are linked to the arms. If what I'm assuming is correct and making the same noise mine is than its definately the switch that went bad. These gears are prone to getting chewed out. If when you open the sunroof and only one arm moves and the other doesnt than you have a problem with the cable. The original track that I took out of my car had a seized arm. I couldnt move the arm back at all. Where as the other side I could easily move it. The only way to take that switch out and inspect the teeth on the gear is to drop the headliner down completely. First you have to remove the glass which has 3 T25 or T27 torx screws on each side. Take down the visors (but not out...leave them hanging)/dome light/Navigation unit/two plastic tabs in the rear that pop down/all the plastic trim from the pillers/rear windows/seat belts (T50torx), Coat hangers in the rear panels and just pull down nice and easy as the liner is velcro'd to the track. Now once the liner is down just leave it resting on the seats. Now you can disconnect the harness from the track. There are 4 connectors. Module (2), switch (1), motor (1). Take some side cutters and snip off the zip ties that hold the harness. now take out the rubber hoses for the water drain on all 4 corners by pulling out. Now you can take out the track. 10MM bolts all around the track. Your gonna need another helper to hold the track up on the other side. All this bull**** just so you can take out 1 torx screw from the top of the assembly for the switch. Once you remove the track you can start taking out the motor and switch. The motor has 3 T25s that hold it to the frame of the track. Once the switch and motor are out. See if you can pull the arms back manually with your hand. Dont worry, use a little force but not too much. If no movement than one is seized and the cable might be stuck. Now you can check the gear on the switch. I'd test the motor alone too just to make sure it works back and forth. Just hook up the module and the motor and see if it works. I completely removed the arms from the track cleaned all the pivot points with brake cleaner scrubbed them with a tooth brush, cleaned the track and put down some Permatex synthetic brake slider lubricant. This stuff is way better than white lithium in my opinion. Anyways man, if you need any more help just message back.
I'm having the same problem with my 03 Monte SS. Im going to be doing this tomorrow morning. I'll be messaging if I have problems.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 PM

My tracks were all ate up. Gonna go get some new ones.