Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Struts?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Struts?

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo and it's been making a horrible noise near the rear of the car for about a month or two when I go over potholes/railroad tracks. I had my cousin look at it and he said there is rust in the trunk along the strut mounts? He said the struts are coming through the trunk, so eventually when they come all the way through, the back will drop to the ground. It has 200,000+ miles on it, is it recommended that I look to fix it, or should I look to sell before it gets any worse?

Thanks

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I take it your car has spent much of it's life on salted roads. I would be willing to bet there is a lot of rust elsewhere on the car too... rocker panels, front and rear fenders behind the wheels. Those kind of repairs are pretty expensive and with 200,000 miles on it, may be a death sentence.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It has been in salted areas. I bought it in Indy and the owner said it had been up north for most of its life. I'm getting an estimate tomorrow but I'm afraid of putting too much into it because of its mileage

Old 03-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Wise of you. You just have to be practical and consider what future problems you might encounter.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

I also agree, if the strut towers are that bad I'm sire other parts are just as bad as well. Only you can decide if it's worth fixing depending on how much you like the car.

Whatever you do PLEASE don't sell that car in that condition to someone that doesn't know any better as theu could get killed if they come through and they lose control! If you plan on selling it in that condition make sure the buyer knows that is a major issue that needs fixed before driving the car!

Search this Thread