Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Strange Engine noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Default Strange Engine noise.

Recently I noticed that there was a strange noise coming from the front left of the engine, right about where the airbox was. I noticed the noise when I would go out side to warm up the car. Now it is much louder since I put in my K&N CAI. The noise sounds kind of like a circular something made of aluminum rubbing on aluminum (at least this is what the noise "looks" like in my head [8D]). Again, I DID notice it a few days to a week before putting int he CAI (and it could have been even longer than that - like since it's been crazy cold out) and it sounded like it was coming from the airbox. Today I listened and figured out that as the car warms up it seems to go away, and also if the engine is still cold, when I accellerate it goes away (not hard accelerating, just normal).

Is this a normal sound, that for some reason I started noticing just before I put in the CAI that is just VERY obvious now with the added sound of the CAI?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Default RE: Strange Engine noise.

[align=center]Hi `Matt,[/align][align=center]It's difficult to give an opinion without hearing the sound.[/align][align=center]I find it difficult to explain sounds with words.[/align][align=center]Did you explore to see is anything was rubbing on the [/align][align=center]K&N CAI ?[/align][align=center]Could it be the MAF making noise (Since it's cold out )[/align][align=center]You could email K&N and see if they have any[/align][align=center]information on your conditions.[/align][align=center]I would keep checking, but if it's not throwing codes, or[/align][align=center]hurting performance, I would just drive/listen and enjoy.[/align][align=center]CAI makes noise(Suck'in Air: )woooooooossssssLOL[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Oh, I will gladly take your awesome Monte for a week/year[/align][align=center]and test drive it to see `if I can find the problem : ) [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hopefully, one of our talented/expert members will have[/align][align=center]some additional information that will help.[/align][align=center]Good Luck, & keep us informed on how it turns out.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM

noise seem to mysteriously go away or become much less noticable after the car is competely warmed up?

if so it sounds like normal operation to me, just yer engine suckin air, more noticable without an air box to muffle the noise.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I figured this was a tough thing, but I always like hearing what everyone here has to say; it helps me sleep better at night. A buddy of mine listened briefly today and thought it is just the sucking in of air, and I kinda could hear that as I thought about it. It sounds D@MN good when it's warm though!

Thanks as always!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Dang i was hoping to read an answer to this. As mine does the same thing, coming from the same area. Its a like a car horn sound, but not as loud. Its totally driving me insane and i was thinking its maybe a bad throttle body gasket or intake gasket, any further thoughts?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 AM

Probe the areas around the Throttle Body and all of the Intake Rubbers and Gaskets with an UNLIGHTED Propane Torch. Listen carefully to the RPM's as you go from one place to another ... probing for a possible Air Leak.

If there's a spike in the RPM's while you are probing Boots and Gaskets ... THAT would indicate an Air Leak and you are hearing the resonate sound of the vacuum created by that leak.
Re-align and tighten the Clamps and Boots and try again.
If there's NO increase in the RPM's ... you found it.

If there's NO RPM increase during initial testing ... there's no leak!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:55 AM

Your car have A/C?

My 07 somewhat makes the noise your talking about but its around the AC pump.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Just got mine fixed, check for these to help diagnose yours:

Check to see if theres an o-ring on your pcv valve, wasnt one on mine and caused lots of vacuum inside the engine.

Remove the oil cap when engine is running, if it wants to stall out, the upp intake is leaking and should be replaced asap. Another way to check the intake is to grab under the throttle body and try to lift up, if the noise gets louder, the gasket is bad. The vacuum was so bad in mine it was preventing oil from getting to the rocker arms, never a good thing!