Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Default Stopped running

I was driving home and the car back fired. Then it died. I haven't been able to start it since. I've changed the distributor, checked the spark plugs and wires, all that has been mentioned in the repair manual. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Problem has been solved. The new coil did't pass the third test of infinty. It was deffective. Replaced coil and now it's running like a champ. Thanks!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Default RE: Stopped running

Could be the timing chain...

Pull the distributor cap, turn the engine over and make sure the rotor is turning. If it is rotating, double check your fire order. If the chain did not break it could have jumped a couple of teeth.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 AM

first of all what year is the car?
If you have a dist. cap

the firs tthing i would check would be if you have jumped time in the chail if tha tis not working you need to replace the chain or belt.

but ont eh older monte carlos with the HEI dist. in them they are natorious to blow out controll moduals but i have never heard of one back firing before it gose mos tof the time they will do it on start up or when you turn off the car and you cant get them to start agian.

IF you think this is the cause.
Check to see if you have spark at the plug wires.
If you have spark then it is good but also check to see what color spark you have brite blue is a good spark yellow or white is not so good. also will show if ya have a weak coil

first thing i would say to do is to chek to see if the dist. is rotating.

if it is go on to the next step.

Also i had one one time that some how cut the wire as it went threw the fire wall the groument was bad.. and it caused it to ground out if this happens you wont get spark etheir. So check it to .

Great way to add a kill switch in tot he car take the green wire and intrupt it on the HEI and it will ground out so the car will turn over but not start. So if you switch it it can act as a kill switch on gose off grounds.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM

Thanks alot. He has to check the coil to see if its good. Also, the groument tip.