Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Still running hot...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Still running hot...

Scratch all that. I drove around more tonight and it damn near overheated. Went and bought two new fan sensors, four and five pin. Installed them and it didn't fix anything. So to recap, two t stats, cooling sensor, and now fans sensors, not losing ANY fluid, stays cool at high speeds but close to over heating during stop and go type driving.

This isn't making any sense to me.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM

You could always get a fan switch. It cools my car when in stop and go traffic.
It sounds like you have a different problem though. Very strange.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 PM

Waterpump???

I've never tested this before but maybe take off the top radiator hose and put it in an old ice cream plastic bucket and run the car. See if it starts spitting fluid.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 PM

I'm gonna take a closer look at the water pump. But I'm not losing fluid so I dunno. I also don't hear anything indicating the bearing is going out. But I'll take a close look at it and see.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 PM

I'm 99% sure it's not the water pump. There is no odd sound and NO leakage of fluid.

I did notice though that only one fan is coming on. The girl at the auto store thought it might be the thermostat sender or something like that which is a special order only.

I'm sick of messing with this though. As inconvientent as it is I'm gonna have to take it to the shop. I have a long trip next week and I can't chance things.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 PM

Give us the heads up what it is when you get it back. I'm really curious on this one.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM

Sure thing.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM

The shop told me it's the fan module/fan assembly. I can't seem to find much information on this part. It's going to cost $500 to fix it, which seems very high but I have nothing to prove it. And since I really need my car I can't afford to run it all over town looking for a better deal. Not to mention that wherever I take it I have to ride my bike back from.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Hit the bone yard or ebay for it. Also check with Autozone and Advanced auto parts to see if they have a better deal.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM

I told them to go ahead and fix it. I really need my car this weeked so if I got screwed I got screwed. I have ways of returning the screw.

Quick Reply: Still running hot...