Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Sticky Gas pedal

Old 01-04-2018, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Sticky Gas pedal

I have a 2000 LS and was driving down a highway around 70mph and I noticed when I let off the gas the pedal didn’t lift back up. It happened right after I accelerated kinda hard and tapping the brake didn’t slow the car down. I ended up throwing the car in neutral because I couldn’t find any other way to make it slow down and the pedal released. It didn’t really cause any problems today but I’m supposed to drive up north into the heavy snowstorms and don’t want it to do it again on ice. I’m not sure if the hard acceleration had anything to do with it. Only code being thrown is for a camshaft position sensor which came on 2 or 3 days prior (just too cold to replace)

Any suggestions on what this could be?

Last edited by Dj_bosse; 01-04-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM

Check the return spring which is part of the throttle body and see if it's broken, just manually move it and see if it snaps back quickly. Could also remove cable from the throttle body and check for free movement by pushing and pulling on it, might be frayed

Old 01-04-2018, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thank you for your response! I made arrangements to take a different vehicle into the snow so I’ll check the return spring Sunday. I’ll try to post again if that’s not the issue

Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM

I had a similar issue where my cruise control was stuck, actually pulling the throttle wide open and had me going down the highway at over 100 mph..

Turns out the previous owner had an extremely powerful stereo system installed and the 0 gauge wire (amp power wire) was zip tied TO THE THROTTLE CABLE. Something went wrong and the amp power wire burnt up and burned a whole into the cable. Over time (several years) it had rusted and was not allowing it to return to position..

Search this Thread