Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 Monte. Won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM
3 Year Member
Default 2002 Monte. Won't start.

I put in a new battery. Tried to start the car and nothing. The interior lights aren't working and key fob won't work. I thought maybe something had got disconnected when I put in the battery but all looks good. I am getting power as the headlights, breaklights, etc are working. But nothing happens when I try to start. I think it might be the security system. Tried a couple of suggestions on how to reset the security system but didn't help. Has anyone had this kind or experience when changing a battery?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

There has been a few other folks with this same kind of issue and in one case the Ground was not good. Either the cable was not connected properly or the ground to the body wasn't very good. There was one other fellow who got a brand new battery and it wasn't good, it should test out better than 12 volts to make a good start. Hope that helps.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM
3 Year Member

I tested the battery and it is good. And some of the electronics still work like the headlights, brake lights. If the ground wasn't good I don't understand why some stuff would still be working.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Is there a fusible link that failed ? Herman

Old 01-03-2018, 06:51 PM
3 Year Member
Default Body Control Module

Had it towed into the dealer. $700 later I had a new BCM and that was the problem. They tell me it had nothing to do with the battery. But seems like a strange coincidence.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DEmonte2002
I tested the battery and it is good. And some of the electronics still work like the headlights, brake lights. If the ground wasn't good I don't understand why some stuff would still be working.
I see you solved the issue and it was your BCM but..

It could definitely be the case that this or that works and other things dont if the ground is faulty.. -And another thing for whatever strange reason, changing the battery will sometimes bring these issues to the surface..
Just putting the info out there for future reference for anyone..

Old 01-05-2018, 09:24 AM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I see you solved the issue and it was your BCM but..

It could definitely be the case that this or that works and other things dont if the ground is faulty.. -And another thing for whatever strange reason, changing the battery will sometimes bring these issues to the surface..
Just putting the info out there for future reference for anyone..
Thanks for your input. I had it checked by my mechanic before sending it to the dealer. He said he checked all the electrical connections, fuses, etc and had me send it the dealer as he had concluded it was the module and he couldn't program it. Hopefully the issue is solved and I won't be dealing with it again.