Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Steering Wheel replacement

Old 09-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Default Steering Wheel replacement

Ok first, I am friggin' scared ***tless of airbags, and want to make sure I do this right.

Because I don't want a bomb going off in my face.

But I want to replace the steering wheel because its all cracked, nasty, and just looks gross, and steering wheel covers just make the steering wheel too thick.

As far as I can work out, other than disabling the airbag system, nothing behind the steering wheel needs to be touched, because I heard something from someone if the coil is out of line when you put everything back together, it will deploy the airbag as soon as you reconnect power and turn the key on. Though it sounds fishy to me, but with airbags I don't want to take any chances.

Any tips you guys can give? Any Step by step guides? (A quick forum search turned up nothing)

Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Check youtube once and see what there is there.
Search for Steering wheel and Airbag replacement.
That's what I usually do when I want to replace something or repair it and usually there are more than one tutorials that you can look at.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 AM

Well thanks I guess.

I thought there would be something a little more vehicle specific. Main reason why I asked.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure you are grounded or that you discharge static electricity before starting. Static electricity can pop and air bag from what I've heard. Outside of that, there should be a fuse for the air bag system, pull that fuse. When you remove the air bag, just don't connect it to a power source and you are fine.
When you say "coil", I assume you are talking the "Clock Spring". If so, it does not work the way you mentioned. The alignment issue is if you disconnect the steering column from the steering rack, which allows the column to spin freely. When that happens, you run the risk of braking the clock spring by over turning it in either direction. But you are just removing the wheel, you are not messing with the clock spring that I am aware of, so again, you are good to go.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by TorqueEffect
Well thanks I guess.

I thought there would be something a little more vehicle specific. Main reason why I asked.
Well sorry I didn't do this the first time!!!
You wanted Vehicle Specific. This is Specific to the 5th Gen. Monte
This link has got it all. All kinds of information here. Check it out If you can put your video player on the Dash you can follow along, as you do it.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...98+monte+carlo

Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 AM

I have a steering wheel for sale if you're looking for one!

Search this Thread