Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Default Starting issues

Hey all long time no talk! Not sure if I should have posted here or under a different sections so sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

My 02 has been having a hissy fit lately. Whenever I go to starther about 3 out of 5 timesshe tells me where to go and won't start. I have to step on the gas to gether to start so I thought it might be my fuel pump starting to go.I had my mechanic look at it while he was putting my brakes on andhe said that at 82000 miles that it might be the pump starting to get worn out.He told me that unless it goes completely out it's pretty pricey to replace so not to worry until it won't start at all. Mind you he knows that I (like most everyone else) is undera financial crunch and he won't just go telling me to replace parts unless need be. So we decided to change the fuel filter and put in new plugs since it needed to be done anyway.

Well it's still doing it but now I'm noticing that thecruise control lighton the dashboard stays on when I first start her upand the info panel isn't coming right on either.

Could they be possibly be linked or is my car just becoming possessed?

Thanx for any info

Jenn

Old 02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Starting issues

So I take it that no one has any ideas?

Pretty please????

Jenn

Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 PM

it does sound like the fuel pump

Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 AM

If it eventually does start and run ... NOT the Fuel Pump.
Possibly the Fuel Filter.
The Fuel Filter is an easy and cheapo try-me. Just slap-on a new Fuel Filter and see what happens.
Air Filter too. If you do not know when the last time you put-in a new air filter ... change it.
Go to AutoZone and get that car Plugged-in and read ... for free.
Look at the list of Codes Pending for any clues that might lead you to a component that is barely getting by.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic

If it eventually does start and run ... NOT the Fuel Pump.
It could be the fuel pump. the motors do wear out and it takes longer to build up the fuel pressure needed. once the pressure is there the car will start and run fine but it may take some time to build it up

Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 PM

As I stated I did change the filter and it is still doing it. I have a K&N air filter and just cleaned it a couple of months ago. I have ran the codes and it there's nothing new there.

I'm not a mechanic by far so this might be a stupid question but if the computer is starting to go could that be the cause of the starting issues as well as the cruise light staying on? Or are the completely unrelated?

Thanx for all the help!

Jenn

Old 02-15-2009, 10:43 AM

well the fuel pump is controlled by the pcm but ud likely have other problems and some codes...open the gas cap and have someone turn the key on. u should b able to hear the fuel pump turn on.