Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Starter went bad (I believe)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 AM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Starter went bad (I believe)

So the other day I was working on my Monte and I noticed my radio would not come on so I pulled apart my dash and saw the fuse for the one wire was blown, and was about to fix it when I was asked to move my car out the driveway cause a family member had to move their car. Well right when I went to turn the key, nothing happened. No clicks,no turnover. So I figured maybe its battery, tried jumping it, still nothing so I realized it wasn't dead at all. So now I'm assuming it is my starter. Which blows because they're not cheap. So now I'm going to pull a part today to yank one off another monte. Hoping this fixes the problem. Is there anything else that it cold be or should know? I did see a video of this guy taking it apart and cleaning it, saying it just had bad connection. But I looked and I don't think that, that's the case at all. Soooooo just gonna see if I can fix it with another starter, if not I'm gonna hot wire it until I get money to fix whats wrong.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you move and possibly short out any wires when you pulled apart the dash assembly? Seems odd one minute your starter works, you pull apart the dash, find a burnt wire and now your starter don't work. Wonder if you tripped the anti-theft mode in your security system?

Old 10-18-2015, 02:41 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Did you move and possibly short out any wires when you pulled apart the dash assembly? Seems odd one minute your starter works, you pull apart the dash, find a burnt wire and now your starter don't work. Wonder if you tripped the anti-theft mode in your security system?
Not that I know of, think my solenoid is bad

Old 10-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just replied to a PM, this says a little more about what's going on. No clicking, no cranking. Do you have an active security message on the cluster? If I recall, when the car is in theft lock mode, it will not crank the starter.

If you have anything after market (like a remote start), depending how it was wired, some people do "hack" jobs and taking apart the dash may have disturbed a fragile wiring job for example.

Don't rule out a dead battery. If the battery has failed cells and hit end of life, usually you can get the starter to "click", but not all the time. And jumping the car is not always enough.

The local part stores can all bench test a battery and starter.

I would begin with ensuring the battery is "healthy" (such as a full charge on it).

Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I just replied to a PM, this says a little more about what's going on. No clicking, no cranking. Do you have an active security message on the cluster? If I recall, when the car is in theft lock mode, it will not crank the starter.

If you have anything after market (like a remote start), depending how it was wired, some people do "hack" jobs and taking apart the dash may have disturbed a fragile wiring job for example.

Don't rule out a dead battery. If the battery has failed cells and hit end of life, usually you can get the starter to "click", but not all the time. And jumping the car is not always enough.

The local part stores can all bench test a battery and starter.

I would begin with ensuring the battery is "healthy" (such as a full charge on it).
I don't have the security thing that shows in the message center anymore just shows my battery emblem in it, car still doesn't start, just makes one click and that's it. Idk what else it could be other than my starter being bad which I hope it isn't, put another ignition switch in it and it didn't help

Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 PM
1 Year Member
Default I want to rip my beard off

I've tried just about everything, jump starting it. And no I didn't do it the ghetto way cutting the wires in my wiring harness, just ran a wire to both pink wire, and stripped a space of rubber in the middle and used a mini jumper cable to touch the spot on the brown and it still did the click like how it did with the key in it

Old 10-19-2015, 10:14 PM
1 Year Member

Also I noticed that when I try to start it my miles don't show up just the gears light up, now I don't know if im being paranoid and it always does that until the car is fully in or if that's a hint to what is wrong

Old 10-20-2015, 06:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sometimes a part in the cluster fails that causes the mileage not to display (I have not had to replace i but I have read of others that have, just requires being handy with a soldering iron and knowing the component to swap).

When you swapped the ignition switch, did you also keep the original lock cylinder? The lock cylinder has the passlock chip on it, if you did not, you are going to add to the problem by needing a security relearn.

Honestly, based on what you said, I would pull the battery and take it to be tested.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:16 AM
1 Year Member

I actually have two lock cylinder, the original which is in it and the one from the new switch which I have a key to