Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Stalling issue, need help!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 PM
Exclamation Stalling issue, need help!

Hello all,

So here is the issue I am having. I have no codes showing when reading with OBDII, however, when I go to start that car initially in the day, it will start up fine, drive fine.

I stop, say, at the mall and shut it off. I'm in there for a half hour to a hour, come back out, start the car; here is where I start having the issue. It will start up, and usually the RPM's come up, then drop down, then normalize to idle in the normal operation of the car, same with the 02 I have at the house, but in this instance its firing up, starting, then immediately stalling out.

I have replaced the MAF and MAP sensors, and still no joy. It fixed a earlier issue I had posted about RPM's jumping and dumping when I was driving the car but hasn't taken care of this issue.

Could this be something like the crankshaft position sensor as I have read on various other sources, or is that just a crock? Clogged cats and even fuel filter I have read, but I don't think it'd start then stall for those, although I may do the fuel filter regardless since its been a while.

Any help figuring out what this is would be wonderful because it gets so annoying.

As always, appreciate you guys taking the time to read this and any help is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM

I had an older 3.1 motor in my daughters car, and that's exactly how the cps acts when it goes bad. What happens is, they develop a crack over time, and when they are cold the crack is closed. Once they warm up, the material expands, and the cps fills with oil, and they fail. Fairly easy to replace, and not too expensive. Eventually it wont start at all. h

Old 09-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Thank you for the reply, I was beginning to worry I may not get this thing figured out and its driving me nuts.

So I see there is a Dorman CPS for like 25$ on Rockauto, would that be a good brand to replace it with? I've used other Dorman products before and haven't had issues with them, but I rather get something that may hold up if it is indeed the issue.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 PM

I would trust Dorman. She wasn't in a spot where she could stay long, and unfortunately not close to home. I had to use what the local parts house had. Still running great. Been about 5yrs. h

Search this Thread