Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Default No sound

Afternoon, new MC owner, new to forum and first post. I have come across several posts that have the same problem, but I have tried many of the items suggested to no luck.

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS. Got it for a great deal with very low milage. Everything has been working great for the most part, couple minor issues. I went to the store one night, and when i came out, I started up the car and the radio was there, then was gone. I came to the forums and the most common threads said wiring corroded or blown amp. I checked the wiring, and I was getting power to the harness, so it wasn't corrosion. I then turned and bought a used amp on Ebay. He stated that when he took it out, it worked. I put it inot my car, and still nothing. So I took it down the street to a small stereo shop and he did some testing. He stated that he believe the amp is fine, the problem is blown front speakers. Either one or both, but not matter what he recommends replacing both at the same time.

I was curious, does this sound right? I would hate to replace those and that not be the problem too. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

in theory.....you should still have sound coming out of the rear speakers if the front speakers are blown, at least any time I've blown a rear speaker when I use to run subs, I would still have sound coming from the front speakers.
well unless they are wired in a weird fashion from anything I've ever done, but I do know for a fact that the stereo has the option to go both front and rear and left and right, so that would tell me that they are on separate pathways

Welcome to the forum btw

Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 PM

I thought the same thing ohara. I've put in stereo's in cars before and when I blew a speaker, it just sounded like crap or didn't work, but the other still worked. But I wasn't sure if something with the wiring in this stops it. I almost drained my battery the other day because I left the lights on .. . . no speakers means no chimes

I'm taking it in Tuesday morning to the same guy, he is pretty confident that it will fix it, so we will see. And if I get new speakers out of the deal, so be it.

And thanks, I will say that this is the first forum i have ever joined for any of my cars. I glad it is here.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:47 PM

So an update to this. Sure enough it was one or both of the front speakers blown. The amp was shutting down the rest of the speakers to protect itself from a short from the blown speakers. 80 bucks later, 2 new pioneer speakers and all is good!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 PM

Have you considered bypassing the amp. Actually sounds better in my opinion, or you could go to an after market amp. Just need line level adapters. h

US Shipping 4 Channel Line Out Converter Hi to Low Level RCA Output PS4800 | eBay

You need to follow this pinout:
A9 -> C
A10 -> D
A11 -> E
A12 -> F

B9 -> K
B10 -> J
B11 -> H
B12 -> G

You can't connect the front tweeter at the amp unless you add a crossover