Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ss exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007 | 11:39 PM
|
Default ss exhaust

There was a car show today and I saw a monte that sounded sick. I asked the guy what he did and he said he is running the pipes w/ out the muffler and w/out the resonator. He had silverline tips on it and I thought it sounded super nice. I want to do something with mine without having it sound like a boat.lol. Does this sound like it would be right, I didnt know if that was exactly what he said or not.
Another thing would this be considered having simple straight pipes?jw.lmk guys
thanks

Old 09-24-2007 | 04:07 AM
Default RE: ss exhaust

First, what year monte are we talking? Second, if you have emissions in your state, then straight pipes deleting your cat will not be allowed. Third, keep in mind, taking those mufflers off will make it so obnoxious that within a few days, your neighbors, friends, and family members will probably BUY you a frickin catback system just to quiet it down...

Best bet is to buy a cat back system, buy a U-Bend Delete and Highflow cat downpipe... And leave it at that.

Rough cost will be 500-1000 for an exhaust system... 100-300 for downpipe and high flow cat, and if you wanted to, between 400-900 for headers...

-Keegan

Old 09-24-2007 | 09:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
15 Year Member

Another problem with trying to run a simple straight pipe on a 2000 up Monte, is the fact that the exhaust needs to go around the gas tank. So you would still have a bend in the pipe, be harassed by the police for excessive noise, fail emissions, and have all your neighbors hating you for disturbing the peace.

But other than that, you're golden.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Not trying to be a jerk. Just pointing out what you would be up against before you spend any hard earn money. Go with a good completesystem from the down pipe back. It'll make the car sound better, be legal, and won't annoy everyone within a half mile radius.

Old 09-24-2007 | 10:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

if its a 96+ monte it would sound terrible without mufflers and resonator, but thats just my personal opinion, i think any car should have some sort of mufflers on it whether they're flowmaster's or magnaflows it wouldn't matter, as long as there's something there

Old 09-24-2007 | 12:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

....not to mention the terrible loss of backpressure which destroys your torque curve.

Old 09-24-2007 | 12:54 PM
|

ok, i was just curious. What is the best set up that I could get without spending a fortune.
how are the slp exhaust systems. I just dont want it to sound like a boat and i have heard a lot of 6 cyclinders sound that way.

Old 09-24-2007 | 01:23 PM

SLP and Dynomax give a soft growl, Flowmaster and Magnaflow give a deeper growl.

Old 09-24-2007 | 02:42 PM

Yellow SS, how soon are you looking to get your Exhaust system done?

Old 09-24-2007 | 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Yellow SS

ok, i was just curious. What is the best set up that I could get without spending a fortune.
how are the slp exhaust systems. I just dont want it to sound like a boat and i have heard a lot of 6 cyclinders sound that way.
If you dont have the SC 3.8 than stay away from the slp system i had a friend put one on his 3.8 grand prix gt and it sounded more like a 4 banger than a V6.
then i had a friend put it on his GTP and it sounded amazing so i am thinking you need the extra pressure from the sc for the slp to sound nice

Old 09-24-2007 | 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

ORIGINAL: Yellow SS

If you dont have the SC 3.8 than stay away from the slp system i had a friend put one on his 3.8 grand prix gt and it sounded more like a 4 banger than a V6.
then i had a friend put it on his GTP and it sounded amazing so i am thinking you need the extra pressure from the sc for the slp to sound nice
DUDE!!! That would totally suck!!

See if you can get a cell phone or camcorder movie to send to Keegan. This would help people from picking the wrong exhaust.

Quick Reply: ss exhaust