Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Spring performance itch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spring performance itch...

So I discovered the other day that my UIM is leaking coolant
I have decided with 190,000km's I'm going to change the intake plenum, the LIM gaskets, the rocker cover gaskets and while I'm in there I figured I may as well change the rockers to a 1.90:1 roller rocker. Intense racing sells a brand called Yella Terra and sell a complete kit with new push rods and bolts etc.
Has anyone put these into their 3800? And how did they work afterwards? When I do it all I will try to take some pictures of the install for you all.

I also bought a thing from zzp called an HV3 intake Insert. Has anyone put one of these suckers into the UIM and how did it work out? I was reluctant to spend the money on it but I don't like the original plastic runner systems in the dorman replacement intakes. So I'll give it a try might just be a waste of money but ya just never know.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Sounds like you have a nice plan .,I was thinking of changing the rockers to a 1.90:1 roller rocker..?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is there any time for you to return the parts that you have bought? I have an HV3 for sale with the UIM for $150 shipped here: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25766

Otherwise, the HV3 works fine on our engines. You can find instructions for the install on my Cardomain page here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/205587...e-carlo/page-5

If you want to go the rocker route, I would rather get a set of ER rockers from ZZP: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=555&catid=104 They're $100 cheaper then the Intense ones too. I didn't go the rocker route (went with a cam instead), but I personally know people who have done pretty good with rockers, but a cam will always be superior.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have the HV3 and ER Ratio Rockers in my L36. Install was easy, make sure you get the reusable rocker bolts. I don't know how much of a difference you will notice without a tune. Mine was tuned the same day as the install, so I didn't run without it, I can't help you there.

Does the HV3 even work in the Dorman replacement? You might want to ask ZZP about that one.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

"Spring performance itch..."

Do they make an ointment for that?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

Ointment lmfao!!! Your awesome.
It's a done deal for all the parts but thanks for the offer of $150 for all.
My hypertech is already programmed in so not sure how well this will work but all of the research I've done and my vast mechanical knowledge says it will work.
Good to know others have used and still have the HV3 installed. The intense guys gave me a little bit of telephone advice about doing a cam over the rockers and v/v the cam would have defiantly set a SES light which I didn't want (yes I know PCM tuning can eliminate that) I really like the hypertech tuning because it doesn't interfere with Ontario emissions testing AT ALL, which is priority #1 for me.
Where as the rockers do not cause anything the PCM cannot handle by itself
(to my knowledge) plus a full roller valvetrain was very appealing to me with 190,000kms on my ride.
And lastly a dorman intake is identical to an O.E. replacement intake besides the cost, they are both the updated EGR port design and look exactly the same. I considered going the aluminum L26 route but in Canada a non heated throttle body (adaptor plate from L36 to L26 blocks coolant passages) would be like suicide below -5* when the humidity is on higher side of things.

Okay I think that addressed everything wfew!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just recall people complaining that the HV3 didn't fit when they bought it and it was because they had a dorman UIM, so I was just making sure you double checked that.

You will love everything. I know I have. On the highway the higher speeds pull is just so much better.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member

So the zzp HV3 has arrived and I'm skeptical still and it's very heavy. I'm kinda dissapointed about that. But it fits nicely into the UIM from dorman. The rockers I can track through USPS and Canada post and they are on my side of the border, now I just have to wait for the idiots at the border to stop think they are for making a bomb or something and let CP deliver the things. I'm getting anxious to install and need to change my intake and gaskets before the warm weather starts to roll in. It was already +14*C the other day and I was watching my temp gauge like crazy just incase.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Keep us posted on the rockers ,post some pics.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member

I fully plan to take pics along the way of the tear down and install of all said parts. Mind you my hands will be filthy and I value the condition of my camera so... I'll do my best

Quick Reply: Spring performance itch...