Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Spark plugs on 6th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Spark plugs on 6th gen...

Anyone have any EXPERIANCE on replacing them? If so, any tricks to do the rear bank? I want to replace mine and looked at the motor and it damn near looks like you need to drop the engine to replace them...lol.. I know I'm wrong, but damn ! Also, any good tips on what plugs to use? Wires? Coil packs? My car has a lot of miles on her, however it's as clean as a new car, not a SINGLE leak on the engine at all ! No signs of oil residue anywhere and want to keep it like this. A nice solid good looking engine compartment, I just want to use the best or what's best for our cars... I thank you guys so much.. Mjclemm..

Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Remove the front dog bones, rock the engine forward, e-brake to hold it there.

That should give you a good foot of space to work with.

Use stock ACDelco parts for the plugs and wires, you don't need to replace the coil packs unless something is actually wrong with them. I'm still on my stock coil packs

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Remove the front dog bones, rock the engine forward, e-brake to hold it there.

That should give you a good foot of space to work with.
X2.. or get a tow strap and pull that engine forward! LOL.. When installing headers on mine I pulled for hours trying to get the rear wires off! It was the first time they had been changed in 9 years and 75k miles though

Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
X2.. or get a tow strap and pull that engine forward!
+1 for the tow strap method. Also, don't expect to be able to actually see what you're doing back there... it'll all be done with touch and feel. I've replaced mine twice and it was definitely a lot easier the second time around.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Unless you have the California emissions pump (that I have no experience working around), you can change the plugs without rocking the engine forward. But many hear have said it makes it easier.

I did the rear plugs on my dad's Grand Prix with no issues (other then a plug boot fighting a little, fixed that with a small pair of vice grips to grab the exposed rubber boot twist-n-pull). I'd say I spent 15 minutes on the rear bank (may dad already had the front bank done).

Also helped a friend with his father's '01 Bonnie (which has less clearance).

I've done it by feel/touch.

And AC Delco or NGK plugs will work fine (Delco's prefered). Just NO BOSCH plugs!!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by spork
...don't expect to be able to actually see what you're doing back there... it'll all be done with touch and feel.
A free standing adjustable makeup mirror positioned on the cowl above the firewall allows you to see what you're doing.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 AM

Thanks guys, ROCKIN the engine forward and givin it a shot, thanks for the advise all of you... Il let yamknowmhow it turned out, or how much I ended up paying for someone to do it...lol... Mjclemm.. Thanks again...

Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM

That's extra work to take the dog bones off, i just wait till the engine is cool to the touch and climb on top of it and reach the back plugs, my stomach would be on the upper intake manifold. Pretty easy once ur on top of it. Use delco 41-101 iridium plugs i think those are the stock plugs. E3 plugs are pretty good as well

Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I used a heavy duty ratchet strap to rock the engine.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM
Default A bit Disabled !

Originally Posted by Habbibie
That's extra work to take the dog bones off, i just wait till the engine is cool to the touch and climb on top of it and reach the back plugs, my stomach would be on the upper intake manifold. Pretty easy once ur on top of it. Use delco 41-101 iridium plugs i think those are the stock plugs. E3 plugs are pretty good as well
Lol.. I would love to be able to do that, however, gotta keep in mind, I'm a bit Disabled and could never ATTEMP that anymore, I'd end up either in the hospital or Dead ! Lollll mjclemm

Quick Reply: Spark plugs on 6th gen...