Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

spark plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3.4Dually
ok so for anyone out there with a 96-97 3.4 DOHC the stock plugs from the factory are AcDelco 41-919 platinums gapped at .045.....i went to 2 diff chevrolet dealerships and talked to some techs and parts counter guys and they confirmed the emissions sticker for these years is WRONG an the owners manual is rite about the gap an that if gapped to the .060 you could damage the catalytic converter due to carbon build up from missfire......also none of the parts stores around me carry these plugs anymore.....both dealers quoted me $6.99 a plug with a minimum of 10, why i dont know so i looked online and you can get these plugs at decent prices just google AcDelco 41-919

i hope that helps someone in the future, im trying to stay OEM and this is what comes in these engines from the factory AcDelco may have changed the part number and that might be the reason they dont come up at the local stores, if anyone has the revision part number please post it here........anyway i got my plugs on the way here for $20 on ebay they are new old stock but they do come with a warrenty just incase they are defective or something
Then why did you ask us? 0.015" isn't going to make a lick of difference in the real world. Maybe in your mind, but not the real world.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:16 AM

well i dont have the owners manual, and like i said there are several threads that point you in different directions, also even after one thread was closed and i started another i still didnt get any help..... so i then looked in the haynes manual and it confirmed the AcDelco 41-919 @.045 so i then had to do the footwork of confirming it at the dealerships since noone on here wants to help.........so this thread is up at the moment to inform anyone doing a plug an wire change on these engines for the first time so they dont end up with a miss firing engine and have to remove the plenum again to redo their work since the emissions sticker under the hood is WRONG,

like i said in my previous post the techs at both dealers said to run AcDelco platinums at .045 or you will end up with a miss and that miss will plug the cat converter with carbon build-up, so yes the .015 will make a difference and now your not arguing with me but also with technicians that work on these vehicles everyday

why do you feel so compelled to argue this instead of just posting good helpful info

maybe you just have something against me and am trying to get all my threads locked which is just childish

Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM

No it wont. FWIW, I AM A GM TECH. They were just agreeing with you to get you to leave. I don't know why you are making this so difficult, it is freaking spark plugs for christ sake. I'd hate to see how hard it is for you to buy brakes. "Well, these are semi-metallic and 9.175mm thick, but my manual specifies ceramic that is 9.275mm. Will they work? Never mind, I don't believe you. I'll just ask the same question to 1000 people until I find someone who agrees with me"

I have NEVER seen a misfire from the wrong gap.

Last edited by aussiek2000; 02-08-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 3.4Dually
well i dont have the owners manual, and like i said there are several threads that point you in different directions, also even after one thread was closed and i started another i still didnt get any help..... so i then looked in the haynes manual and it confirmed the AcDelco 41-919 @.045 so i then had to do the footwork of confirming it at the dealerships since noone on here wants to help.........so this thread is up at the moment to inform anyone doing a plug an wire change on these engines for the first time so they dont end up with a miss firing engine and have to remove the plenum again to redo their work since the emissions sticker under the hood is WRONG,

like i said in my previous post the techs at both dealers said to run AcDelco platinums at .045 or you will end up with a miss and that miss will plug the cat converter with carbon build-up, so yes the .015 will make a difference and now your not arguing with me but also with technicians that work on these vehicles everyday

why do you feel so compelled to argue this instead of just posting good helpful info

maybe you just have something against me and am trying to get all my threads locked which is just childish
Because you are compelled to call people like me crooks based on where we get a paycheck. I tried to help on the first thread, but you don't listen. You ask the same freaking question over and over and over and over again. I bet the parts stores just love when you walk in.

Remember, I went to real college. I have GM training. And I work for GM. Feel free to argue all you want about your 20 year old car, because frankly I'm passed the point of giving a ****. Hope you timing belt doesn't break and send to to the junkyard with the rest of the 3.4 DOHC engines.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM

i just replaced the timing belt 2 weeks ago so no problem there.........and if the rear plugs werent such a pain to get to it wouldnt be a big deal, put the plugs in if it misses pull em out and change the gap, but its not that easy you have to remove the plenum so i just want to do it rite the first time

and your rite this engine crap is easy, remember i rebuild auto trannys all day so engines are nothing......the problem is i hate to have to redo my own work because of a miss printed label...........and i never called you crooks i just dont agree with the high price of labor at dealerships, i understand you have fancy things like the GM tech 2 scanner and oscilloscopes and diagnostic computers and tools upon tools to pay for but in all the shops ive worked in you as the tech have to provide your own tools

and just like my neighbor yesturday took her van to get just the rear brakes replaced an chevy quoted her $400, i told her to go a few more miles down the road to a shop i used to work at an they only charged her $100 parts included, i double checked the work when she got home an it was done correctly

geuss another thread turned into a pissing match so go ahead mods/admins lock this one too........like i said in my other thread i worked for 3 years at a chevrolet dealership and can understand curtain high costs but most are just not fairly priced at all

Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM

also that timing belt with tensioner, and both idlers only cost me $150 and took 3 hours to replace, and yes i do have the kent moore tool kit to do the job correctly, like i said i used to work for chevrolet too......the week before just to save myself the time and effort i had chevy quote me and they wanted $900 to do the job, thus the reason i dont let them do the work..........but like i said they do have tools i dont have that i do pay for them to do like the relearn procedure for the crank sensor and the vin programming for the new BCMs, the techs arent the ones ripping people off they just work there its the dealership itself that sets the rediculous prices

like i keep saying dont get all butt hurt about this shyt you just work there you dont set the prices they do

Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM

Just so you know, the dealership doesn't pay for our tools. I have $25k+ in mine and other techs have well over $100k

Old 02-09-2013, 04:58 AM

Hi Everyone,
After reading this thread I believe it has reached
a Dead End & shall be closed for repairs.

Let's just agree to disagree

I need to read the content of the below link again...Peace/Out
How to Deal with Stress

<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-style: normal;">www.studygs.net/stress.htm</cite>
Managing stress(text summary from Flash piece, above). First, recognize stress: Stresssymptoms include mental, social, and physical manifestations.

Last edited by Space; 02-09-2013 at 07:35 AM.