Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

spark plugs!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Arrow spark plugs!

search not getting me anywhere so...

spark plugs!

whatcha runnning in your 96-97 3.4 DOHC?
if you could please post a brand, part number, gap, and if they are regappable

Thank you all and have a great day!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM

ACDdelco 41-993, .060" gap

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM

doesnt the owners manual say to gap at .045 tho? im not sure cause mine didnt come with one, im the 6th owner

something about the emissions sticker being a fudge up?

i just dont want to do the whole job to end up with a miss-firing engine, never have i had to remove a plenum to do a simple tune-up

can anyone verify this?

dont take this wrong im not calling you a lier or anything there aussie is there any diff between your 04 3.4 DOHC an my 96?

Last edited by 3.4Dually; 02-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM

you should use original equipment plugs at the manufactures specified gap.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM

which is?

thats what im getting at, i dont know, there is a few threads on here that pull you in different directions, saying use double plats then one says dont cause the "pucks" fall off then one says the emissions sticker is wrong on the gap and itll miss-fire at.060

ive been trying to look up an online version of the owners manual with no luck, i no longer have an alldata account so im just asking for some help here

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM

go to parts store and tell them u want OE plugs. they will be ac delco platinums i imagine. 41-??? will be a part number. as far as problems with the plugs go, i use them all the time on vehicles i have to change plugs on, and have never had a problem with them. i dont think your sticker under hood is wrong. .060 sounds right to me. you really shouldnt have to adjust them, rule of thumb that i use is: if they come with a cylider shaped protector around the threaded part and the electrobe, normally you dont have to gap them. they arent hard to change, you just unscrew them and screw some more in. if you are unsure, it may be best to let a professional do the job.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM

thanks i know how to do the job i was just unsure of the type and gap........i normally run autolite coppers in everything i own but they are all easy to replace with them all being v8s this DOHC is the first engine ive had were i actually have to remove the plenum to do a simple plug an wire change so i didnt want to put the wrong type or gapped plug in......i deff wouldnt put coppers in this being they dont last long

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM

ok so for anyone out there with a 96-97 3.4 DOHC the stock plugs from the factory are AcDelco 41-919 platinums gapped at .045.....i went to 2 diff chevrolet dealerships and talked to some techs and parts counter guys and they confirmed the emissions sticker for these years is WRONG an the owners manual is rite about the gap an that if gapped to the .060 you could damage the catalytic converter due to carbon build up from missfire......also none of the parts stores around me carry these plugs anymore.....both dealers quoted me $6.99 a plug with a minimum of 10, why i dont know so i looked online and you can get these plugs at decent prices just google AcDelco 41-919

i hope that helps someone in the future, im trying to stay OEM and this is what comes in these engines from the factory AcDelco may have changed the part number and that might be the reason they dont come up at the local stores, if anyone has the revision part number please post it here........anyway i got my plugs on the way here for $20 on ebay they are new old stock but they do come with a warrenty just incase they are defective or something

Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM

I run NGK v-powers in all of my cars. They aren't that expensive, and have always worked well. I have used them in everything from my 500 hp ls1 camaro I used to have, to my daily around town beater.

Before that, I used just regular AC Delco resister type plugs. I can't find them any where anymore. All I can find are the rapid fires, and the iridium ones. They run $6-$10 a plug. Its just a spark plug for pete's sake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plugs!