Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Info: So new here after reading some bad answers,,,

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Default So new here after reading some bad answers,,,

So let's start with I am 30 yr tech, doing diagnostics, front end, general service.
So there are so many BS stories about how things work, why GM built cars a set way etc.
First of all I will state GM is so much easier as they release info better.
Let me state that GM has to retain a large amount of OEM service tools, thus they have limited sales compared to aftermarket tools makers/distributors. Also using brand specific software limited to or service thus GM dealers DO charge for OEM services. Not everything is Android based/open source. There can't be.
It's not feasible.
NOW on bcm reprogramming how many options does GM use, over what a dozen or better models
Now why does it cost more, they have to service, update as required by reputation and law. Parts are developed in matter of one or two years but not cycled for a decade better in every senario they see in regular service.
when a car has 12 option the next car may have different radio, no seat heater etc. Every RPO code has to be set for your car. The reason for exclusive use of software and equipment is every dealer is running proprietary equipment and software. Ford doesn't design GMs bcm,etc.
And car one has significantly different options than car 100,099. It's not some conspiracy it's business and nothing more.
No vindictivness either.
As stated, you need minimum of a Drewtec Mongoose, or J2534 approved pass through box and appropriate training and support tools and database. So now let's add dozen other makers, hundreds of models and you get idea of scope of how complicated it can be.
It's not some secret plot to separate you from your cash it simple business.
How much is Joe Jim Billy Bob down at gas station gonna be able to do everything but not charge a reasonable fee. I have well over $100k in tools and sport no oem tools except used ones I found. Need at least another $100k just in diagnostics tools. As for swapping parts, part of it's security Some is so you don't plug in used module and fry your car then blame OEM.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Monza, not sure what prompted this thread. Something going on?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Monza, not sure what prompted this thread. Something going on?
I think he may not like some of the responses and answers here on the forum..

Old 09-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Default Well I have seen the wrong or just plain fake info posted

Yes I know going to dealer costs more BUT thier parts are contract/spec parts. Built to GM spec. All proper parts replaced and not some cheap knock off that cheaper but hasn't got proper heat/electrical/vibration spec. Then year down road you break again and blame design. Also you have to look at manufacturers responsibilities of maintaining 10 yr supply of specific parts( except when aftermarket is deemed exceptable source) . The fact is there are some serious issues with parts for older cars,
As for programming, well if you spent millions if not billions developing something proprietary you might try to keep it close to the chest for as long as possible. It surprised me how some companies have manage to break into newer models to modify tuning on so new of cars as much of it is pushing federal law. I had hoped the one bill would have pushed for a ,for lack of better name, "tuner tax/tag" allowing you to mod a car. Possibly with some caveats like E85 only or have a non modified car also tagged so modded car isn't daily driven.or at least let the owners prove EVAP hasn't been compromised and cats are still functioning. I watched an 2015 or 16 Corvette , on premium make over 1000 hp WITH CATS and still only time it even tried to go out of spec was WOT.
My post was about couple of posts on BCM replacement and how dealer is rip off. Having worked as tech it's time consuming, technical job and many dealers hate trying aftermarket modules as many fail during or just after flash thus making them possibly responsible.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Monza283 - I understand that some responses people provide may be inaccurate or under educated or bias because of a like or dislike for dealerships or people feel swindled by professional, but this rant is very random and out of no where.

The best any of us can do is attempt to share good and valid information and try to educate one another.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

[QUOTE=The best any of us can do is attempt to share good and valid information and try to educate one another.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that

Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 PM

My first reaction was that g.m. is changing designs and proven methods when not
required, why change something that works and requires special tools and equipment,
yes,progress is good, but at what cost to the consumer?.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 PM

It's perfectly okay for GM to keep some parts and software proprietary if it's relatively new, and was expensive to develop. What there is precisely no excuse for is (as an example applicable to these cars) $27 for a gas cap, or a labor rate that is invariably twice that of local shops, when the results are just as variable,

Old 09-08-2017, 09:24 PM

Im a 63 year old mech, not tech. Not doing anything but keeping my 74 Landau on the road. No software, no sensors. I could tear the whole car apart with $1000 in tools. I really dont care what GM is up to, dont need any updates or downloads. So Mr. Monza 283 I do not envy the job you have before you. The computerized cars these days, and the special equipment needed, enough to drive a man to drink. Dont get me wrong, my old monte can be hell to work on, but the technical side is far removed from what you are experiencing. All I can tell you is keep your chin up and dont let the engineers at GM drive you crazy with their mysterious ways.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM

I wish the design engineers were forced to actually work on the vehicles they design. Then, and only then, might they design things that are easier to repair, or designed to perform better or longer than they currently do.

GM is building some great engines, but then the design engineers drop them into ridiculously hard to work on platforms.