Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Smoke And Coolant Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by michelob
Overflow tank is discolored/stained but its so damn hard to see in that skinny bottle but it looks good. I tried to wipe the side with my finger and see if any of the stain would come off on my finger and it didn't.

?
I was referring to staining inside the overflow tank...not on the outside...
should be a orangeish/brownish color inside...

Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I was referring to staining inside the overflow tank...not on the outside...
should be a orangeish/brownish color inside...
Boy its really, really hard to see into that even with a flashlight but yeah there may be some staining inside the tank. I definitely cannot see into it from the outside as its too weathered and discolored. Would I necessarily be able to wipe it with my finger and see it--I was referring to the inside of the tank that I stuck my finger into to see if I could wipe away any residue? Or not?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Smoke on the driver side. Most likely culprits:
- Upper Intake Manifold Gasket
- Throttle body gasket
- Radiator Hose/Clamp
- Radiator itself
- Thermostat Gasket
Both the TB and UIM gaskets have seals for coolant to flow from the LIM into the UIM, to the TB and back around.

I would highly suggest getting a loan a tool radiator pressure testers, with the car cold, pump up the pressure, then look and listen for the leak. You may find the leak source making a hiss noise and hopefully a little coolant bubbling to point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps a little. Best of luck!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- Throttle body gasket
- Radiator Hose/Clamp
- Radiator itself
- Thermostat Gasket
Both the TB and UIM gaskets have seals for coolant to flow from the LIM into the UIM, to the TB and back around.

I would highly suggest getting a loan a tool radiator pressure testers, with the car cold, pump up the pressure, then look and listen for the leak. You may find the leak source making a hiss noise and hopefully a little coolant bubbling to point you in the right direction.

Thanks I talked with my buddy and yeah we're gonna pressure test the radiator soon.

Checked the exhaust and it seems fine with no "sweet" smell. Does white smoke necessarily mean coolant?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
- Throttle body gasket
- Radiator Hose/Clamp
- Radiator itself
- Thermostat Gasket

So I was cleaning the MAF yesterday and I was attempting to remove the CAI filter and I was wriggling the pipe around to take the rubber boot off the throttle body around I noticed coolant spraying out and a hissing around I guess it would be LIM or UIM? Its where the throttle body bolts on engine side. I had just driven the car so I'm assuming this is where my coolant spray and resulting "smoke" are coming from is coolant is leaking from around the throttle body and getting onto the manifold.

So obviously I'll take care of this when I can but what kind of problems would I have this? Would I notice anything particular with it leaking? I'm assuming also its the gasket? Maybe someone cleaned the throttle body and didn't bother replacing the gasket?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM

its most likely the lower intake gasket and is a VERY COMMON issue.

not a hard fix either, make sure to upgrade to the aluminum coolant elbows while you are in there.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I understand this correctly, the coolant is spraying from between the throttle body and the black plastic UIM? If that is correct you are looking at one of two (or both) failures:
- Throttle Body Gasket
- Cracking of the UIM

If the spraying is between the black plastic UIM and the aluminum LIM, then it's one or both:
- UIM Gasket
- Cracking of the UIM

But it sounds like the first two items. With any of the possible failures, you run the risks of:
- Running low on coolant
- Coolant leaking into your air intake and into one or more cylinders (which might already be going on and only going to get worse).

If it's only a throttle body gasket, that's quick and easy, but when you take the T-body off, I would:
- Clean it first off (as I'm sure it's gunked up)
- Inspect the black plastic UIM for signs of cracking, if it's cracking, replace the UIM and while you're down that far, replace the LIM gaskets (and as mentioned, the coolant elbows). If no signs of UIM damage, new gasket and away you go.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member

Yes I think you have it correct I'll throw up a pic just to make sure....

Well the rear most nut is missing off the bolt on the throttle body. I think there are 3 bolts/nuts? One on top, one under the TPS and then one in the back? The back most bolt is missing the nut so I assume this is allowing the throttle body to leak? Any idea what size this nut is?

Could this be causing a P0420 code? Or totally unrelated?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 AM

i guess i misunderstood where the leak was coming from. Maniac is most likely correct on his advice.

if its coming out between the TB and the UI, the 3800 has a rubber TB gasket, and it is possible that it has cracked or split over time. if the TB has been removed before, its possible that it was pinched during reinstall and just failed over time.

if that is not the case, it is most likely a cracked upper intake.

if its between the UI and the LI, its the gasket or a crack.

the bad intake gasket and the cracked upper intake are common issues.

if you need an upper intake, i do have an OEM black plastic one in good condition, and an aluminum series 3 for sale.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vikesfan
i guess i misunderstood where the leak was coming from. Maniac is most likely correct on his advice.

if its coming out between the TB and the UI, the 3800 has a rubber TB gasket, and it is possible that it has cracked or split over time. if the TB has been removed before, its possible that it was pinched during reinstall and just failed over time.

if that is not the case, it is most likely a cracked upper intake.

if its between the UI and the LI, its the gasket or a crack.

the bad intake gasket and the cracked upper intake are common issues.

if you need an upper intake, i do have an OEM black plastic one in good condition, and an aluminum series 3 for sale.
I'm thinking its just the missing nut that is allowing it to leak. Obviously someone has had it apart before or the nut wouldn't be missing but I'm gonna see if I still experience the problem now that I have replaced the nut. Without that nut it allows for a "gap" between the throttle body and UIM. I noticed after replacing the nut there is no more "slop" or "wriggle" when I move the CAI filter.

So as long as like you said the UIM isn't cracked or the rubber gasket toast I think I'm fine. I'm curious if this cures the problem and I think it will.

What are some symptoms though if this was leaking because that nut was gone? Which it obviously was like I said I could wriggle the CAI filter before and get coolant to spray out from around the bottom of the throttle body and now it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Smoke And Coolant Smell?