Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

SLP Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Default RE: SLP Headers

Well, I went to Merlin's Exhaust in Fond du Lac and they helped me out with creating a custom downpipe that looks like it should do the trick. I like this design much better than the SLP one as it is smoother flowing.

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

A problem we found though is that when they build the SLP header they do a **** poor job of putting the pipes together. They scream that it flows better, but when we dig inside its a completely different story. Below is the picture of the headers end where we cut it off to weld some flanges on. Inside though we found they just slide a pipe in on an angleand there is this HUGE lip where turbulance builds up.

To really see this, goto a home repair store like Lowes and put 2 small plumbing pipes together. One about 2 inch and the other about 1 1/2. Can be less that 6 inches in length, but you need to slide the smaller one in on an angle. If you look where the inside angle is, they don't cut that part off!!! They should mate these on the outside and weld, not put them together!!!

Needless to say I have one LARGE Dremel job in front of me. =<

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:50 PM
15 Year Member

Yeah shame you had the issues you did i would be sending them back, For the cost of hedders tha they want 900.00 Bones for them i just cant see the price for shotty work.

this is also why i refuse to put them on my car till the price comes down a lot more.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:07 AM
5 Year Member

I don't see them coming down, but by the end of the week I think I'll be the first person with Port and Polished SLP headers in my signature. =D

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:49 PM
15 Year Member

Yeah i hear ya I think if i was goign to go threw all of that and still have teh car down for this long i would be callign a machine shop and finding out what a head job would be costign to have them ported and polished also.

I feel for ya i really do!

But as far as the price gose i jus thtink it is crazy for a set of headders to cost that much.
But after finding out today they are puttign 22.00$ in to the body work alone on my car and also 2 grand in the stereo parts not to mention teh Tranny issues i am hoping i have a car.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:21 PM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: mickey

Yeah i hear ya I think if i was goign to go threw all of that and still have teh car down for this long i would be callign a machine shop and finding out what a head job would be costign to have them ported and polished also.

I feel for ya i really do!

But as far as the price gose i jus thtink it is crazy for a set of headders to cost that much.
But after finding out today they are puttign 22.00$ in to the body work alone on my car and also 2 grand in the stereo parts not to mention teh Tranny issues i am hoping i have a car.
Yeah, I'm kinda depressed about the cost myself vs. quality, but what do ya do. I thought about the heads, but I don't want to rip those off just yet. Maybe later. I'm getting a deal on a 17' ski boat for 3 grand and it's in great condition - relatives freinds are great. So my money is going there.

I should be able to get this job done tonight after work so we'll see.

That is also a ton of bank going in to get work done on the car... I never did hear from you if insurance was covering any of it. I really hope it does!!!

For your tranny issue, all I have to say is no time like the present to switch to 3.69 gears. LOL!!! I hope you enjoy your stereo upgrade as well. I love mine.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:27 PM
5 Year Member

Aligned the flanges last night and spot welded. It would have helped if I would have tacked the Header flange a bit better because it fell off and I needed to do everything over again. =<

But in the end I had the SLP Header tacked tight, slid in, rolled the engine back into place and put a dog bone support in to have accurate allignment. Put the bolts in and was amazed on how nice everything is now. I should friggin start selling downpipes!!!

Brought them into the muffler shop and had it professionally welded (I haven't seriously welded since I was a machinist 9 years ago and I know I lost those skills but they are coming back quick).

Here's a pick of the set as it will stand to get mounted tonight.

Old 05-03-2007 | 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

Here is a final pic of the header flange. There is a small gap where extra material is in the lower left corner of the flange but it won't cause nearly any of the problems they way it was constructed earlier. I wouldn't be suprised if I picked up 3-5 HP by porting that 1/2" restriction just before the downpipe.

Oh and it not off center either, that is just the way the pic looks in the lighting. It actually does flow smoothly.

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:15 PM

how did the front header go on, any problems with that side?

i bet it will sound great with those on there. Also the new down pipe looks like it will have much better flow than the slp one that was there before.

Old 05-04-2007 | 01:47 AM
15 Year Member

04, Yeah the insurance is paying for all of it.
As a quick update he called me today said the cars is commign along great and theya re goign to take it to Paint today, Then proceeds to tell me i have some BAD news for you also. (im thinking Great they have to order a part they for got to get on the invoice or i wasent coverd and had to coem out of pocket.)
BUT NO!!!!!!!!! He tell sme that the damed fool that took teh car in to the paint booth hit the wall and now they had to replace my right front Fender& Headlightalso. W.T.F.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SO he was goign to order a Stock headlight for me AS the shock set in and went straight to over the top Ticked off. I explain to him i dont have a Stock headlight set in my car. And i want the same ones that are in it to replace the one they tore up.

So im trying to find one on teh net right nwo that are the Dimond cut Black headlights with the Orange cornner light. But all i can find so far are the Clear Cornners. So i will have to settel for those i guess.

But i shoudl hopefully get my car out of thier hands sometime in the first of the week and then it gose to the dealer for the Tranny and the Ing. Switch.

Then to the Stereo shop to have the DVD screens in the head rest replaced .
Other then this the stero works fine Oh and my I pod dont work no more So i need to get another interface for it i belive it was screwed up from moisture or somethign becuse it is way up behind the dash and i dont see where they tried to get in to it that far.

But if you were to make a down pipe what would you charge for it?
I would like to do the 2" pipe from teh X over pipe /Getting rid of that damed U-bend for a 2" pipe should help it breath better i would hope.

Quick Reply: SLP Headers