Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Side Mirror Backing Plate Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Question Side Mirror Backing Plate Removal

So, in the middle of the night, I nicked a trash can on the side of the road that I did not see in my girlfriend's 06 Monte Carlo. The housing is fine, and the glass itself did not break, but it seems to have come loose from the adjustment motor. It is still being held on (firmly) by something, but the motor is not grabbing it to adjust the mirror, and at highway speeds, the glass wobbles around. How do I remove the glass with the plastic backing so I can see what is wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 06-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Bump. Need some help with this, guys.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rtchal
Bump. Need some help with this, guys.
I remember dissecting a non functional mirror - I could not disassemble it until I peeled off the broken glass.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

It's very similar to the one in this video. It pry's out. You might try pushing it back in, but it sounds like the motor drive may be damaged, and like Barovelli said and the video shows, you will probably break the glass trying to remove it. It might be easier to just replace the whole mirror.

Here's a replacement on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Mont...dW3xlL&vxp=mtr
If you magnify one of the images showing instructions you can see the prongs on the backing plate.

video:

Last edited by plumbob; 06-06-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member

I remember the price of that replacement glass.

I bought a pair of $25 eBay knock offs a couple years ago. They have been ok, but the plastic has faded more than I wished. I plan on taking them off and spray painting them,

Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I think Barovelli is correct that something is wrong with the motor. The mirror is SOLIDLY clipped onto the motor part as it should be, but something behind that is not holding it down. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the whole housing.

The funny thing is that I can still hear the motor working, and when I try to move the motor all the way up, it catches at the very end and does move the mirror up a little. Same goes if I try to move it left.

I've got one more question... How do I know if the car has mirror defrost?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by rtchal; 06-07-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rtchal
I've got one more question... How do I know if the car has mirror defrost?

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help.
There's an RPO code for the mirrors, I'm not at the main PC so I cannot bring up my list. If I find a list on the MCF site someplace I'll post a link.

I do know that the heated ones have an obvious heating grid with 2 wires between the plastic backing and the glass.

My experience was I had the RPO code for heated mirrors but one was heated and one was not. Previous owner replaced one. No matter to me, never have a use for a heated mirror where I live.