Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replaced Turn Signal Switch 1998 M/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:50 AM
Default Replaced Turn Signal Switch 1998 M/C

Finally replace my switch. Taillights been erratic for months.
Have a Haynes manual, and read a few threads about how to.
Biggest problem was the electrical connection under the dash. Instructions only say "after blah blah, disconnect harness". That's it. There should be a tutorial on the harness connection. Where it is, how to remove it from the clip holding it up so a person can work on it, how that connector comes apart, etc. Should include pictures. Probably on a work bench, since getting decent pics under the dash woud be futile.
AND, the switch itself is a 'discontinued' item (forgot the word the partsmgr used). Dealers can sent it back or whatever. They gave me a really nice discount (about 80% off list) because of that. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

So the old switch was faulty? And all your Monte's tail lights and brake lights work as they should now, with the new switch? (I ask because my third brake light isn't working.)

Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 PM

Yeah, all seem to be working. The third light works off the right taillight. At least on mine both center and right would work or not work at the same time. Check those bulbs tho.
Also, my turn signals would work erratically. The left rear would blink twice too fast while the left front wouldnt blink at all. But if I wiggled the lever, then it worked OK.
The switch was the ONLY thing that could cause my problem.
I can see on my old switch that a couple contacts are worn out.