Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Shimmy that wont go away...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Shimmy that wont go away...

!!! Hi guys, I still cant figure out what is causing this shimmy/wobble in my steering wheel/floor boards/seats. I've posted several times about my 03 SS with 140,000km. Every front end part is less than 20,000km new. New tie-rods, ball joints, sway-bar links (both sides Monroe & TDW I think), wheel hubs (timken & AC delco), rotors (R1 concepts e-line slotted/drilled), Brake pads (Hawk) along with a set of all season Nexen N5000 tires with 17" Diamo rims. Just recently, I have replaced my CV joints with a pair of ZZPerformance stage 1's (USA industries) due to the fact that my car would wobble in traffic between the speeds of 30-40km/hr. Now these reman axles I got are causing a really bad shaking when accelerating from left to right. It feels so bad in traffic but than it goes away after a while which is really confusing me. My wheels have been balanced 3 times and I am not hearing any noises or anything significant. My original axles didnt cause vibrations, but the wobble has been with my car before and after the replacement axles. I messaged ZZPerformance so many times and what their suggesting is removing the spacer from the swaybar link . I know my car is supposed to glide along the road but this wobble/shake is really killing me. The only thing I havent replaced is the strut assemblies for the front. I need some advice as to what my next step to take would be. Could my suspension be causing a problem, or are the wheels out of balance again? I am thinking of investing in GM replacement axles. I know my threads have become redundant but I really need some help guys. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

George

Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 PM

as dumb as it sounds, do you live in a humid climate? or have to air up the tires often? i've seen air compressors with water build up in the tank put up to a coffee cup worth of water into a tire and then balancing will do nothing. thats just a thought.

if the vibration goes away sometimes and you only notice it at 30-40k it sounds like water inside the tire/tires or some other object rolling around in there could fit the bill.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Got air in your tires? Checked the wheel bearings? Made sure the rims are on right? I wouldn't trust those rotors either, I've heard they crack with minimal use.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Wheel alignment done lately?

Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for posting back. I seem to have found a solution for this problem. Yesterday I put on my winter tires (for Canada's cold weather) and the vibrating seemed to have disappeared. BTW, I mounted on my original 16" rim and used tire combo from last year. It doesnt make sense though as my new 17" rims and tires have been balanced 3 times already after being shipped mounted and balanced from the wholesaler. This is where I am confused. On the contrary driving around at night with my family I did notice the vibration start again, but this time around 40-60km. My tire monitor came on as well which lead me to believe that one of the old tires (which kept losing air for some odd reason) last year is giving me that problem, and is also causing the shimmy...

Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member

The front wheel bearings are new, I checked for play from the steering components yesterday and everything seems okay. I also removed the 5mm wheel spacers in the back which I thought at first was causing my problem. My alignment is off by a taddddd bit after having the axles installed my mechanic removed the ball joint from the spindle, and I reckon that it might affect the 0 degree rotation. Also, the only place I've had air put in my tires is @ the shell gas station, but even now their charging 50 cents to fill up, so I dont bother filling up there anymore. I have an air compressor @ home that I empty the tank everytime I use it. I dont think any water is in the tires but a very interesting topic. I'm guessin my new tires need to be rebalanced and my old tire needs air in it.