Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Shaky Steering Comes and Goes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Default Shaky Steering Comes and Goes

I'm trying to keep my 2001 Monte Carlo LS running smoothly and was fortunate enough to receive some help here as I was changing my spark plugs. I appreciate any help I can get.

Recently I've had a problem with my steering wheel shaking intermittently. As I cruise down the highway it will begin to shake a few degrees from center back and forth and then stop, and then begin again. Earlier as I was driving it began shaking at 55 but stopped at 60. I believe it is more random so don't hold me to certain speeds as it comes and goes at any speed.

Allow me to explain what I have done to remedy the issue:

Alignment, pads and rotors are new and not warped, Tire Balance, Tire Rotation, checking front end for looseness (tie rods, etc), and checking tire pressure (which led to finding 2 nails in front right tire, one in the side wall so I got a new tire with hopes it would fix the problem, it did not).

My local tire guys looked over the car and found nothing that could cause this. Suggested the tires could be the issue even though they look alright.

So what would cause my steering to shake randomly while going down the highway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:11 PM

tie rod ends, control arm bushings, and ball joint could cause this.

also, worn suspension, bad axle, torque converter. this is more vibration than anything and can be intermittent.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 AM

bad belt in a tire that is not visible from the outside could cause it as well. ive had this happen before. maybe its the tire that had the nails in it? i hope the tires arent newer. have them checked again.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yeah I've had tires separate before and it definitely makes for a rough ride. I dropped it off at a different mechanic today and asked them to go over it and let me know what they find.

The tire with the nail in it I had replaced, so it is a new tire. I know how to check for obvious stuff and I allowed the tire guys to look it over in case I missed anything, so we'll see what the other guy finds.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by UpStart
I'm trying to keep my 2001 Monte Carlo LS running smoothly and was fortunate enough to receive some help here as I was changing my spark plugs. I appreciate any help I can get.

Recently I've had a problem with my steering wheel shaking intermittently. As I cruise down the highway it will begin to shake a few degrees from center back and forth and then stop, and then begin again. Earlier as I was driving it began shaking at 55 but stopped at 60. I believe it is more random so don't hold me to certain speeds as it comes and goes at any speed.

Allow me to explain what I have done to remedy the issue:

Alignment, pads and rotors are new and not warped, Tire Balance, Tire Rotation, checking front end for looseness (tie rods, etc), and checking tire pressure (which led to finding 2 nails in front right tire, one in the side wall so I got a new tire with hopes it would fix the problem, it did not).

My local tire guys looked over the car and found nothing that could cause this. Suggested the tires could be the issue even though they look alright.

So what would cause my steering to shake randomly while going down the highway?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you replace just the one tire or did you replace both front tires? If you only changed the one it is 'fighting' with the other tire for control. Different tread patterns and depth will do strange things when on the front of a car. As mentioned earlier, a belt could be coming loose inside a tire, but that will usually result in a vibration on the side of the car that the bad tire is on. I suggest (if you only replaced the one) to go buy a matching tire for the one you replaced and put on the other side.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:48 PM

It is fixed. Drove it home from the mechanic and no shake. He replaced the left CV axle. I'm looking at buying a new set of tires, or at least a matching pair as you suggested.

Thanks for the help!