Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

seventh gen alternator issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM
1 Year Member
Default seventh gen alternator issue!!

morning all,

last night I was driving home from Ohio and cruising at 60 mph, then accelerated to pass, and my lights dimmed for a split second then came right back online. No rpm problems, acceleration is smooth, except it does this everytime I go over 2500 rpm. I recently replaced a connector on the back side (not sure what connector it is, but its on the backside of the alt, closest to firewall). All I did was a simple all weather splice on both wires, real easy, gave me no problems when I did it. Plenty of slack in the wire, so not like there's any strain on the connector. Alt is original to car, 120k mi. Unfortunately I can't get out and work on it today, due to snowpocalypse, but was just wondering if there's something in not thinking of that could cause this issue?

thanks in advance

Old 01-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres a guess..

Maybe the wire splice has lessened or increased the resistance thus causeing a change in current and or voltage.... Did you simply resplice into using the same gauge wire...or did you use some sub standard wire to make the connection? Maybe the short is in the terminal of the alternator (Since you had to splice in a new plug)... It could also be that due to the fact that you had to replace the connector.... May have been due to a shorted out diode in the alternator its self.... I would remove the alternator and have it bench tested several times to insure the alternator is either good or bad.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
1 Year Member

gotcha, yeah the wire is the exact same, clipped it off a g6 at the junk yard, but the splice I used may be one wire size too big, I used a 22 gauge splice but maybe the wire is a 24? These things I do not know, but I was gonna get the alt tested considering the age.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have to splice the wire, you would be best soldering the connection (don't used a crimp connector) and use some heat shrink tubing to protect it.

My guess is exactly what David suggested, you changed the properties of that wire. That is my first (and so far only) guess.