Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Service Airbag Light! ARG!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:22 AM
Default Service Airbag Light! ARG!!!!

So I got my monte back from the body shop about 3 weeks ago. Front bumper was replaced and everything looks great. Well today I start up my car on the way to my girlfriends house, and the seatbelt light stays lit even though I have my seat belt firmly in place. I turn off the car and start it back up again and then the service air bag message comes on. I turn the car off again and turn it back on, but the message stays on. I decide to drive to my girlfriends(it was after 5pm and my local dealership service closes at 5pm). The message stayed on the whole time to her house. When I left her house and turned the car on, the message was gone! I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow morning on the way to work. Luckily there is one right across the street from where I work! Anyone else have a similar problem or ideas on what it could be? I had the same problem with my 97 grand prix and they had to replace the whole airbag harness. My car only has 3900 miles on it. I'm really starting to worry! And to top it off I got a ticket on Monday for driving in the carpool lane. ARG!@! not a good week [:@]

Steve

Old 10-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Default RE: Service Airbag Light! ARG!!!!

i thought for sure that i was going to read something along the lines of "i turned the key and WAM!!!! the airbag went off."

Old 10-14-2006, 02:50 PM

So I got the car back from the dealer last night. They said that the car never threw a code. Kinda strange! I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Their only explanation was that possibly there was a drop in voltage. That didnt make any sense to me. Oh well, just the air bags right? Nothing too important. [8D]

Steve

Old 10-14-2006, 07:08 PM

atleast i don't have to worry about that as 88's don't have airbags.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Maybe someone can help me with my Airbag light.. Light won't turn off.. Brought it to my local friendly Chevrolet Dealership.. long story short.. $1800.00 (thats right not a typo) $1800.00 for a new module and some kind of clock chain.. is this price really possible or is someone not being very honest with me.. Car was never in accident and Air bags have never went off.. Any advise or Suggestions would be great...

Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Hi Brian & Welcome to the MCF
It sounds like a unreal amount of money.
Please post more information from your work order/bill.
Air Bag Modules runs from $50-$75
Please submit more information for our members so that they
can reply to your post.
WoW, $1800 ?
What year/model is your Monte Carlo ?
Good Luck from `Space

Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 PM

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls, Notices & Car Safety Rep...
Used 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls. Recall ID # 03V051000 - AIR BAGS: FRONTALRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE - Get Details ...
www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/chevrolet/monte_car... - 49k - Similar pages
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/...lls/index.html
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls, Defects, & Safety Proble...
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recall Reports at Automotive.com .... DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND REPLACE, IF NECESSARY, THE AIR BAG MODULE ASSEMBLY ON THE ...
www.automotive.com/2003/12/chevrolet/monte-carlo... - 66k - Similar pages
http://www.automotive.com/2003/12/ch...lls/index.html
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Recall for 2002-2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CA...
The following AIR BAGS:FRONTAL recall/defect on 2002-2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO vehicles was reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety administration ...
www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/19371-recal... - 44k - Similar pages
http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/.../19371-recall/

Chevrolet / Chevy Monte Carlo Air Bag > Why Buy Ne...
Used 2003 Chevrolet / Chevy Monte Carlo Air Bag Control Module. 2003 Chevrolet / Chevy Monte Carlo Sedan, V-6, Automatic, FWD, Air Bag Control Module ...
www.automotix.net/partshotline-chevy-mont... - 59k - Similar pages
[ More results from www.automotix.net ]
http://www.automotix.net/partshotlin...-requests.html[/align]2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Recalls, Defects, Recall Reports ...
Be sure to check the latest 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo recalls on a regular basis. .... DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND REPLACE, IF NECESSARY, THE AIR BAG MODULE ...
www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/09-int/20... - 103k - Similar pages
http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...rlo/index.html

Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 PM

First let me start off by saying how exctied I am to be part of the monte carlo forum. Even in lieu of this problem I love my monte. Now for the specifics:

2004 Chevy Monte Carlo LS (In process of acquiring a SS)
20,000 miles
Problem - Air bag light stays on.
Diagnosis - New Air bag wheel and clock spring (Parts + Labor = 1800.00)
I had a after market GPS system put in.. Could this have effected the electrical system at all? - IN any case.. $1800 just sounds like a whopper of a bill to me..

Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM

[align=center]Hi Bri,[/align][align=center]Did your Chevy Stealer give you a chance to bend over [/align][align=center]Below link is for a 03 Monte, but it may be possible that[/align][align=center]yours maybe covered under a recall notice.[/align][align=center]Hopefully one of our expert members will have a answer[/align][align=center]for you. Below link has some infor you may want to read.[/align][align=center]Check back later to see `if another member has posted in[/align][align=center]ref/ to your problem.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center]Click on below link[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2003/chevrolet/monte_carlo/recalls/index.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]ecall ID # 02V222000 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL - Get Details

Recall Date:
AUG 09, 2002

Component:
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL

Model Affected:
MONTE CARLO

Potential Units Affected:

Recall Date:[/align]AUG 09, 2002

Model Affected:[/align]2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO

Summary:[/align]CERTAIN PASSENGER, MINI VANS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES HAVE AN AIR BAG INFLATOR ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE THAT COULD FRACTURE AT A WELD DURING A DEPLOYMENT.

Consequence:[/align]PIECES OF THE INFLATOR COULD STRIKE AND INJURE VEHICLE OCCUPANTS AND THE AIR BAG CUSHION WOULD NOT INFLATE FULLY, REDUCING THE CAPABILITY OF THE BAG TO PROTECT THE DRIVER.

Remedy:[/align]DEALERS WILL INSPECT, AND REPLACE, IF NECESSARY, THE AIR BAG MODULE ASSEMBLY ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN AUGUST 15, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, CADILLAC AT 1-800-458-8006, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, GMC AT 1-800-462-8782, OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537, OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737.

Potential Units Affected:[/align]133221

Notes:[/align]GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 02032 [/align] Recall ID # 03V051000 - AIR BAGS:FRONTALRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE - Get Details [/align]

Recall Date:
FEB 14, 2003

Component:
AIR BAGS:FRONTALRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE

Model Affected:
MONTE CARLO

Potential Units Affected:
130 [/align]

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey sciggy when the air bag came on was it very cold outside? i think the cold weather might have something to do with it. it happen to me before on a very cold day. when the light came on i parked the car and turn off the engine and turn it back on and the light went away.

Quick Reply: Service Airbag Light! ARG!!!!