Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Security lght came on

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Security lght came on

Good morning all. I was driving the 2001 MC into work this morning and the security message came up in the message center halfway to work. It stayed on all the way to work. Why would it come on while driving?
Once at work I did not have time to troubleshoot it, had to come on in. I hope it lets me crank it this afternoon! Have any of yall had onre do that?

Old 11-02-2014, 10:18 AM

It could be a sign of your ignition switch going out, it's a pretty common failure. My problems started with the security light and then progressed to all kind of instrument cluster problems and no start scenarios. If your car won't start and the security light is flashing leave the key in the on position for about 10 minutes. When the security light turns solid turn the key to off and then try starting the car. I was able to get by for awhile doing this but eventually had to replace just the ignition switch but not the cylinder itself.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Do you have an after market alarm?
The ignition switch could be the problem. Like Jim said, it is a common problem with these and other GM cars. But I recently found out the aftermarket alarm install could be tge problem as well.
My pass/lock system stranded me at work, and there my car sat for 4 days. I was going to bypass the pass/lock and found that it had already been bypass by whoever had the after market alarm installed. Ol Yella was used and abused when I bought her.
Anyway, they used 2 resisters to bypass the system. Which is fine as long as the total value is equal to that which is in the ignition switch, except, they bent the legs of the resistors and hooked them together. No krimping, no soldering, and hardly any electrical tape. And they did not secure the alarm unit. Letting it bounce around in the dash. Thru time and bouncing, the legs of the resistors separated, causing the system to activate. So went in and installed 2 new resistors and butt connected them in all nice and secure.
A Co - worker of mine who use to install after market alarms said that the way mine was installed was common practice.
My point is that yes, you may have a "Going bad" Ignition switch but you also may have a bad aftermarket alarm install that is just starting to rear it's ugly head. Be sure to check both!

Last edited by JC Colon; 11-02-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Thanks guys. The car does not have an aftermarket alarm system, she is all original. The car cranked fine when I left work and has not given me any more messages. Maybe I should go ahead and replace the ignition switch to be proactive. Thanks 4 sure!