Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

rotors rusting at the extreme edges

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default rotors rusting at the extreme edges

I have an '05 LT which is stored most of the time between November and March. Both front rotors have a strip of rust on the inside (engine side) of the bearing surface..but the rust is only around the outside diameter and near the inside/center of the rotor. It seems as if the pad is only making contact with the rotor at the center of the pad and allowing the rust to develop at the extreme outside & inside. I've tried to cycle the piston in the caliper and grease the caliper bolts and still have this problem. Is this common on cars which are not driven every day? Do I need new calipers?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Check the below links & I hope it helps...Good Luck...Yes, it's common to have rust on the outer-sides of your rotors..
Rusty brake rotors?

<CITE>www.meguiarsonline.com/.../showthread.php?21398-Rusty-brake-rot...</CITE>Cached

Ever notice how after you finish detailing your car your rotors are all rusty from washing? ... But the good news is you can clean them up and prevent future rusty rotor syndrome, with a bit ... help how do i get rid of this rust? m ...

Get more discussion results

<LI class=g>How to Clean Rusty Rotors & Brakes | eHow.com

<CITE>www.ehow.com › Car Repair & Maintenance</CITE>Cached - Similar

It is common for many brake rotors and calipers to develop rust on their outer ... parts with a clean rag that has been dampened with water, and allow them to air dry. ... things that you can do to customize your ride is to paint your brake calipers<WBR>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSgDEoFqX0 <~Vid's from U-Tube

Last edited by Space; 06-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What you describe is NORMAL. The brake pads do not, by design contact the ENTIRE rotor surface. They contact MOST of it, but not all. No need to be alarmed. Also, think of it this way, do all 4 rotors have the same rust build up? If the answer is "yes" what are the odds of a problem on all 4 like that.

On my new rotors, I painted the center (known as the hat) of my rotors to help prevent rust and give a good look to them on the car.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

If they look like this they are ok.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
If they look like this they are ok.
Just minus the grooves on the contact surface!
Where the pads make contact...

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM

None of the grooves are deep they just look bad in the pic. I didn't want to replace it with a stock rotor tho because I want to get drilled slotted rotors

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mine are a lil rusty on the edges, even alot of new cars if they set awhile they get a lil rusty & drilled & slotted is the way to go Lou & Lou i think ur missing the nut on the hub

Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Mine are a lil rusty on the edges, even alot of new cars if they set awhile they get a lil rusty & drilled & slotted is the way to go Lou & Lou i think ur missing the nut on the hub
First, the rippled grooves on rotors are fine (so long as they are consistant). Any groves/marks that are not consistant and circular all the way around the rotor will cause issues.

FYI - From what I've read, slotted rotors are best. Slotted rotors that are drilled or dimpled are not always as good as they seem.

I just slammed on a set of AC Delco Advantage Performance rotors, Bendix performance ceramic (low dust) pads and Goodridge brake lines all the way around my Monte. I am 100% happy with the braking performance. All of this adds up to great feel and response in the pedal. I have NO interest to go any further. OH and I also rebuilt and stayed with the stock calipers.

And Lou, JGMonte is right, you best get a replacement axel nut (unless that was part of a repair you were doing).

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ive had great results with my Drlled & Slotted on my GTO, i need to invest in some good rotors for the monte went with carquest & i think there tired of me bringing em in all the time to exchange em cuz they warped

Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM

I just didn't have the nut on yet

Quick Reply: rotors rusting at the extreme edges