Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rod & piston question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Rod & piston question

hey from what i understand in this you are putting a ls7 into your 07 ss? and you are keeping it front wheel drive?
just out of curiosity what are you going to be doing with this car, drag racing, street racing, or just one hellofa car?
also outta curiosity since your going through all this trouble to do this why not just convert to rear wheel drive. possible using some of the corvette driveline? just a thought...

Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have been waiting along time for a rear wheel driveand with people in the know at GM it was almost a reality - then the gas prices hit and now with GM on the brink of bankruptcy and them scrapping all their plans to do so- I decided to research RWD myself. I would actually have to structurallychange the car and I did not want to do that. In the late 60's I had a bigblock 442 and loved it. I wanted another fun car. This car will be driven on the street and at the track occassionally. I love the time and research and to have a one of a kind is exciting. Keeping the car FWD is the easiest way to do this job as long as I don't go over board because the trans is the weakest link. There are alot of FWD racing going on and I have found that this trans the 4t65e-hd can handle quiet a bit. So I hope I have answered your questions. It will be a one of a kind super fun car and alot less trouble putting together than trying to change the car structurally. Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM

well it sounds like an extrmemly fun project. i had an awesome idea for me to have one of a kind also. that is pull the engine bore it to 5.7, stroker crank, comp cam, rocker arms, springs, and a ls6 intake manifold with fuil rails. there is a way to keep the dod that way and i would think i could get it to about 400 hp if tuned properly. obviously id do some trans work.
your project is one of a kind enjoi

Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM

hey found a trans for you :http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=105

Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
15 Year Member

Sounds like a great idea also. Those one of kinds have always intrigued me. No one else has one and they usually go like hell, and I love it. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM

its fun doing research for stuff like this because you never know what your going to get.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
15 Year Member

THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I DO IT.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 PM

idea: what are you doing with your origional engine, and components?
what would be left of it(head, block, cam, lifters, springs, dod components, etc)?
if i can get the block and play with that so i dont screw my stock on it woul dbe worth doing. altough befor i commit to it id have to do lots more research and commit the money for it.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
15 Year Member

I have already put up a post in the for sale section justto get some feedback leaving all pricing up for negotiation. Right now I have a brand new LS4 FWD bare blockthat Dart is usingas reference to make the externals of my LS7block. I would be willing to sell this extra blockonce Dart has completed my block sometime after the new year. I purchased this block directly from GM, the dealers do not service just blocks so I could not buy it from a dealer.In addition I will have the tranny and engine that is in the car now that also will be for sale. The motor will have prox 30,000 miles on it and is very strong - I have never abuse it.

The engine will be pretty much complete. The accessories will all be used over and won't be there but pretty much everything else will be.The engine will be intact just the way it came from the factory but it will be missing the timing cover,oil pan, dip stick,valve covers and no coils. No engine cover - exhaust manifolds should be there. I have a Magna flow exhaust on it which much to my regret may also have to be sold sorry thing is I just put it on two months ago.

There will be heads, crank, rods, cam, all the bearings, mains, rockers, lifters, dod, etc....the entire engine.

I was going to advertise it in the paper and on the website.

The tranny should be available, but not really sure, I may be using it over again if I can not find a used one to rebuild, but I should be able too. So assuming the tranny will be available would be a good bet.

My post simply saidI would be willing to sell it at a fair price for the buyer. I would have no need for it, so it will be a good deal.

Check out mypost in the for sale section also.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
15 Year Member

Almost forgot, I also have a Hyper tech super chip programmer for it. Once I return it to stock it can be used on any 2007 LS4 monte carlo. That will also be available.

Quick Reply: Rod & piston question