Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rod & piston question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Rod & piston question

88ss408: More recently I have made some disturbing discoveries and I may be stroking my motor as you have suggested and keep what I have.Yesterday an outfit in Chicago who does LS7 adaptions into other vehicles told me that the LS4 blockis designed to accept the 4T65E housing and the LS7 will not mate even with the adaptor I have.My understanding isthat on the LS7below the centerline of the crank in the architecture of the block the block has bosses that would interfere with the fitting of the transmission housing to the block. My adaptor will allow me to bolt the two together but the block on the LS7 is too wide to allow the transmission to come close enough towraparound the block and bolt together. Another feature/obstacle I must research before I actually do my tear down. If this in fact is true - I will have no alternative but to use my block and yes you are correct it would be a whole lot easier than the swapI really want to do. Thankyou for your input

Old 12-06-2008, 02:47 PM
15 Year Member

Mickey: It's been about 6 weeks now and I have been quiet successful in my research for my '07 SS project. Your idea of a journal is a great idea but honestly I don't even know how to go about doing that so I will just give you a bit of information to give you some idea where I am at right now.

Next week Dart begins production on my LS7 block with LS4 external bolt patterns and external dimensions, its architecture will accept LSX heads - 23 head bolts instead of 15

Usinga forged 4340 crank with LS4 over all dims and rotating specs. Ovrall dims so I can get this motor in the engine compartment. Final CID 3876.3/6.4 liters (4.125" bore and 3.622 stroke) Diamond pistons/rods/pins
LS7 stock manifold with LS4 90 mm TB

Turbocharger - not sure of make yet - currently negotiating purchase

World Products 72 cm LSX heads
Jesel Rockers
LSR Turbo Camshaft

Stop tech front and rear brakes 11.8" rotors

Pinnacle exhaust headers and complete exhaust HPC Coated

Ron Davis radiator/cooling
Walbro Hi output fuel pump and booster

Oil and air separator

Tranny cooler
Roller timing chain

160 Stat

ZZP Tranny pan

Aeromotive Fuel rails

GMPP Diff

Tranny work will be a combination of ZZP and Intense Parts
4th gear clutch shaft - weakest point @ WOT replaced with part made from Aerospace landing gear steel. Instead of two piece - will be one piece. Can't break no matter how much torque I put on it.

Tranny parts will be cryogenic treated

Various Auto meter gauges in dash bezel

This whole build is of course being done with the fact that no matter what I do with that 4T65E-HD I have, it will not live with my HP. So alot of time and research is going into the trans to extend it's life.

2 good year G-force/R tires for the front.

There is awhole lot more but this is where I am starting.

Hope you find this of interest.

My hope when all is said and done next spring is to have a motor that canlive with about 550+ WHP and use it to drive with also - something very achievable. I find myself having to limit my expectations alot because of the limitations of the tranny..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:47 PM

for your trans did you ever look at the gmpp race 4t65-e ? they are good for 1000 hp plus ! i had a link for it in one of my post here b4 but i can find it again if you want to look at it

Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 AM
15 Year Member

Mickey: If you can find the link that would be great. The information I have that was suppose to come off the GMPP site was the clutches were able tohandle the horse power, not necessarily the rest of the tranny parts. Not exactly sure but if you could come up with the site I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 AM
15 Year Member

Mickey: Also, so you know theLS7 can be cut in the front to the same length as the LS4 and the dampener bolt hole deepened. However the 3mm on the back - the flexplate flange is another story. It can be shortened by making it thinner and the pilot made deeper but the flange would be 3mm thinner - weakening it - you would also have to reduce the length of the crank in the back 3mm which is not a problem - only the flange is the problem. On the LS4 crank the flange is the samethickness just in aslightlyforward position on the crank - 3mm forward. Machining the LS7 crank in the rear would hamper the strength of that flange something I would rather not do. Anyway keeping the trans in mind, a shorter stroke makes for less torque - a goal I am trying very hard to achieve. And Dart is making the LS7 block with the exact same bell housing bolt pattern as the LS4 so I can bolt it to the 4t65e - hd trans without any adaptor plates.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might consider upgrading the brakes to the W Body Stores 13" big brake kit for the fronts, and their 12" kit for the rears. Here are the links:

W Body Stores 13" Front Big Brake Kit

W Body Stores 12" Rear Big Brake Kit

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
15 Year Member

Wayne: Thank you, I was considering Stop Tech 12" front and rear. Was unaware of W-body store. Will investigate. Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just found these today. Not a new site for me, but I've never bought from them. Maybe time to start!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
15 Year Member

I spent some time on this website - it was great thanks again.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 PM

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer...cemodtrans.pdf

here's that link for that transmission build !!!

Quick Reply: Rod & piston question