Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Replaced Battery, now nothing turns on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Default Replaced Battery, now nothing turns on

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS. Yesterday the car would turn on and not start, I got a jump, the car stayed on, and I was able to get it home. When I turned the car off and tried to turn it back on, it would not crank over, but dash and dome lights would come on. I locked the car and had the alarm on, and left it for this morning.

Someone took my keyless entry to work, so I used my spare key to open the door, open the hood, and take the battery out. Went to Autozone, battery was not taking a charge, so I got a new one and it tested fine at the shop. I brought it home, installed it, went inside to turn the key on, and NOTHING comes on. No dome, no power doors or windows, no dash, nothing!

Battery is installed correctly(I double checked), is it possible that when I disconnected the battery with the alarm on I disabled something. Hoping that when my keyles gets returned tonight it will fire right up, but figured I would check with the forum. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Sometimes these can be a mystery. Tell me more about the Battery that was bad how old etc.
Ever changed the Alternator?
Serpentine belt is ok?
How many miles on the car?
Some times when you jump start a car it can damage some stuff also?
This is just a wild guess but I think there could be a fuse inside the hood area that protects the car from these situations so you might want to check that also. (but that is just something I watched my technician do on another car) so this might not be the case. The Keyless will work if the battery is up on the vehicle and the one in the keyless too.
NO power no operate.
Also check the cables that go from the battery they may be bad on the other end or loose or broken.

If the alternator is going or gone it will suck the life out of a brand new battery and you might as well replace it.

The only bad part of this is that your on board computer that controls everything maybe bad.

I seen that this same post was done 3 times I hope I am responding to the correct one.
Good luck

Old 08-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Also you can check the body ground wire. It will come off the battery and ground to the car body or engine block.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm thinking it is something that you handled and now it's not working. I'm thinking it's the battery terminal connectors. Were any one of them corroded, perhaps you pulled the wire free from the terminal if you were tugging on them. It may look connected but is really separated from the lead connector.

I would bet the keyless entry does not have thing to do with it, never heard of that issue before.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-15-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78
Also you can check the body ground wire. It will come off the battery and ground to the car body or engine block.
Happened to me good point to check

Old 08-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Thank you for all the input guys!! So you want to know what the answer was?? The BRAND NEW battery that the autozone guy checked and said it was at 12.51 Volts in the store, well I put my tester on it last night, and it was only 2.51 Volts!! Took it back in for another one that actually had 12.51 Volts and the car is running fine!

Note to self, don't trust the autozone tech to read a volt meter ;-) Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Cool

Ok, But now you have to buy all us guys a Coffee, POP or other adult beverage for our efforts!?!?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Ok, But now you have to buy all us guys a Coffee, POP or other adult beverage for our efforts!?!?
X2.... Those places can keep the battery's on the shelf for a long time. Guess you should have had then install it like Walmart or Sam's Club will do. Then you would have known. Wow, that had to be frustrating. It did not sound like an anti-theft issue, a ground or broken wire, but a dead battery will do it too! Thanks for cluing us all in on the basics, know the condition of your battery.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-17-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gibbers18
Thank you for all the input guys!! So you want to know what the answer was?? The BRAND NEW battery that the autozone guy checked and said it was at 12.51 Volts in the store, well I put my tester on it last night, and it was only 2.51 Volts!! Took it back in for another one that actually had 12.51 Volts and the car is running fine!

Note to self, don't trust the autozone tech to read a volt meter ;-) Thanks again!

Wow! So basic, thats not even funny. I will have to remember that one.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yep, times seem to be changing, but we do have the regulars going at it all the time and still carrying the forum along with their attendance to shows yearly.

They know who they are, Keane, Devin, Matt, newly acquired Barb (1+yr), Tadd, Mel, Devin's GF, John(turbo) and his wife(caddy cts) Amy, You (Zippy) and I know I'm forgetting a few++ but I'm just not in a situation for me to attend most shows. No big wheels here, just a DD that's falling out of respect for all the members who do take pride in their Montes! Greg, you're the man, going from Utah to PA for a show, that's badazz my friend. Thanks....enough said.

Quick Reply: Replaced Battery, now nothing turns on