Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

"Red" Low Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default "Red" Low Oil Light

Alright, alright, alright. I haven't seen this before. While coming from Olive
Garden Resturant, I was driving at a good speed and I did a sharp left turn doing up to 30mph. When I turned left, the "Red" low oil light came on (instead of orange, like the rest of the warning signs on the dash) and went off, which my car didn't do nothing different. I just noticed it and which I have never seen it before. I do need an oil change, coolant change and traction control warning lights. Can somebody help with any form of information if possible.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Well, sounds to me like your low on oil...maybe not low enough to set it off on level ground, but when you made the sharp turn it pushed all the oil away from the sensor and set off you low oil light....you need to check your oil ASAP! because those lights don't come on when its only a quart low, you need to be pretty low for it to come on!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I agree with Mamonte. Check your oil. Also check and make sure it didn't find it's way into your coolant since it's low.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 AM

I agree with you guys both, but dustybird, from what your saying, its making me leary of if its really true about the coolant.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Yea I think that you guys are spot on with the oil light regaurding the oil level because it takes alot to trip that light. But its not completley impossable that the oil might be mixing witht the coolant because they both travel throught the engine and if there was a problem they could easily mix.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 PM

10 Year Member

Yes, the oil and coolant could in fact be mixing due to a bad head gasket or intake gasket...However, USUALLY the coolant will mix with the oil, not the other way around ....therefore, I would think your oil level may rise, not go down.

Honestly though, you said you were due for an oil change...some oil burn off is normal, and if you never check it, it could just truley be low...Just check it, and add oil if its low...better yet, change it! And see if that takes care of the problem.

Also check you coolant level....if it is normal, then you should be fine!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

[QUOTE=MAMONTE;136251]therefore, I would think your oil level may rise, not go down.
QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right but it never hurts to check (maybe I'm just paranoid, LOL)

Old 06-08-2009, 10:56 PM

10 Year Member

Oh for sure, check the coolant level and make certain you don't have coolant in the oil....but just get some damn oil in that thing ASAP before you ruin it for good!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Hey fellas, instead of stressing out over what could or couldn't be. I'm going to change my coolant and get the oil changed as well. So if it all goes as planned, then it shouldn't malfunction on me. I appreciate everything that everyone has givin me insight about. I really do appreciate it.

One thing, does my signature (photo), show everytime I post a message? If so, I can't see if it does or not..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM

10 Year Member

If you upload a sig pic, then yes it should show everytime you post.

Right now it is not showing any pic...its just says "Hi Hater!"

Quick Reply: "Red" Low Oil Light