Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Recent purchase, some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:26 AM
Post Recent purchase, some problems.

Dunno what the electrical issues stem from. Message center reset or individual issues?

Issues:

Drivers side switch to the passenger window will not roll down, but will roll up. Odd. Passenger switch works fine.

Fuel gauge in cluster shows full when it is not, up and down sometime. The display on the headliner shows wrong also.

Message system Service traction system warning. Low speed (usually after just starting the car) makes braking normally act like emergency braking with the lurching and grinding sound but only happens once after starting.

Message system low coolant. (It's not low)

Engine light on.

Blinkers and hazard light work sometimes.

AC not blowing cold. Might just need a recharge. I have a can in the garage.

Full disclosure: the car came with an aftermarket remote start and alarm. Dunno if this might interfere with the problems, but I do not think so.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:45 AM

Fuel gauge is most likely the fuel sending unit. There's an access panel in the trunk under the carpet just behind the back seat. Low coolant level light is most likely a bad sensor if the level isn't low. A new sensor is like $30 at autozone and is an easy install. Go to autozone to scan your check engine light, it's free. The blinker and hazard problem is more than likely your hazard switch. It's a big problem with Montes. I'm replacing mine this weekend. Could also be your turn signal switch though. If your brights don't lock it's your turn signal switch. Chances are your ac does just need a recharge. If I were you I'd get the can that seals your lines. I did mine 2 years ago with a $40 can and even though it was a little more expensive that the others, it still blows cold today. Hope this helps a little

Last edited by Dj_bosse; 07-29-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the quick response.. I took it in for inspection and the guy stopped right after testing the turn signals. I was shocked, I guess I just thought they worked.

I have a can of the recharge. I will use the rest and just get the sealant kind when it runs out again.

The Autozone reply was fantastic. I totally forgot about them doing that.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:30 PM

I don't know which to replace. The hazard switch won't activate the hazard lights. But the brights won't stay on and I'm getting a "high beam out" message. So replace the hazard switch or turn signal multifunction? Both?

Old 07-31-2016, 04:40 PM

You might have to do both. I haven't done my hazard switch yet but I was told if the brights don't lock then your switch is bad. I'm replacing my turn signal switch as soon as the part comes and then if I keep having problems I'll replace the hazard switch. The hazard switch isn't too expensive.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:45 PM

Yes, I just looked on eBay. Hazard is 25 and turn signal multifunction is 35ish.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:49 PM

I bought my turn signal switch off am auto parts and it was $37. Not sure how it'll last but it came with a 10 year warranty. Not sure if your EBay one comes with any warranty but in case something goes wrong it'd be nice to have it covered. And you may want to check out rockauto.com for the hazard switch. They have an OEM one for $13 and usually their parts are pretty good

Old 07-31-2016, 04:52 PM

Thanks... I guess I just automatically discounted the auto parts websites because I thought they may be more expensive. I will definitely check it out.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:55 PM

I've noticed autozone is usually more expensive. But rockauto is normally cheaper and I've known a lot of people, including many on this forum, who use it and haven't had any problems. This was my first purchase from am auto. So who knows, it may be good, it may not. Hope you fix your issues you're having

Old 07-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Beware of the aftermarket multi-function (turn signal) switches. They tend to be short lived. Dorman hazard switches are OK, but just about anything else electrical, it doesn't pay to go with the aftermarket stuff. Better to stick with OEM/ACDelco.