Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Rear passenger tire making awful noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:28 AM
1 Year Member
Default Rear passenger tire making awful noise

I'm wanting to repair a lot of stuff that's gone bad on my car. I just need an opinion as to what this one could be. When you hit the brakes the rear passenger tire makes this loud, deep whining noise. Doesn't sound like any squealing brakes that I've ever heard, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case. I've heard it could be the brake drum. It throws a lot of rust to my hub cap, which flakes off when I brush my finger over it. Does anyone have any idea?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Our cars don't have brake drums except for the parking brake which is part of the rear rotors. Disc brakes have rotors instead of drums. Most tire and brake shops like Les Schwab (if they're in your area) will do a free inspection. If it's something simple like a rock stuck in the pad they probably won't charge you, but you might have a worn or damaged brake pad or retaining hardware (slide).

Last edited by plumbob; 07-21-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you! I read that they don't have brake drums somewhere, but I wanted to be sure and I've gotten great answers here before. I don't think we have one of those here, but maybe the mechanic we usually use will be able to tell us. I'm hoping it's not anything too huge considering we have a lot of other work to do on this thing still :/

Old 07-22-2017, 07:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Auroradawnnnn
I'm wanting to repair a lot of stuff that's gone bad on my car. I just need an opinion as to what this one could be. When you hit the brakes the rear passenger tire makes this loud, deep whining noise. Doesn't sound like any squealing brakes that I've ever heard, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case. I've heard it could be the brake drum. It throws a lot of rust to my hub cap, which flakes off when I brush my finger over it. Does anyone have any idea?
You might want to check to see if your brakes are in need of replacing? How many mile since the last service on the brakes. Typically brakes will last 30 to 45k on these cars if you stay off them.
I have had them go well of 100k and the service guy told me they were still good. But I don't use the brakes that often.
Depending where you live you can get gravel and road debris in the things and it will cause some noise.
Best thing is to remove the wheel and check the rotor and see what it looks like. If it is grooved or is very thin you need to service the system.